Stolen in 10 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
Why would you prefer a key over a fob? Not trying to be critical here but I'm interested in your reasoning.

Our Mazda is the first fob vehicle I've owned. I like the idea of slipping the fob in my cargo pocket on my pants and leaving it there. One push on the door button unlocks everything. H

Its my wifes car. on more than one occasion i have driven it, and dropped her off at one store and i drove to another. Once i got out, guess what? She has the fob, i can't get in it, or start it, and we are in 2 different places.Phone is in the car charging.

Would never happen with a key in the ignition. Also if you are standing next to the car , someone can open the door on the opposite side, not good at night. But the first situation is the main one. I don't have room on my keyring for the big mazda fob, and i rarely drive it.

Last edited:
Thanks for getting back on that.

Every vehicle I've purchased has required a bit of a learning curve. Some more than others. Admittedly the Mazda required more attention for me since the last vehicle I had was a 2000 Mitsubishi. A lot has changed in that time.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
These days the folks in Saskabush have had to wise up from all the crime in the "big" cities like Regina and Saskatoon.

It still happens often enough in the small towns. Regina and Saskatoon will certainly be different and I'd expect Moose Jaw and Yorkton wised up. P.A. and North Battleford would have years ago, but you go to some of the small towns, you'll find plenty, sometimes even close enough to the cities.

The Mazda system has a small touch button on the door handle. You can configure the settings to open all doors or open one door. Same with leaving. One push locks everything.

Mercedes does two buttons. One inside the handle so when you just grab the door handle and pull, you also pull on the button inside it and it automatically unlocks the door and you're in. There's another button on the outside that you press when you lock it. And they have that on all 4 door handles. Same configuration for either having it unlock one or all the doors. Also does the same to the trunk and the fuel door, they open if they sense the key fob near it, all I do is lift the trunk handle and it opens.

Originally Posted by spasm3

Its my wifes car. on more than one occasion i have driven it, and dropped her off at one store and i drove to another. Once i got out, guess what? She has the fob, i can't get in it, or start it, and we are in 2 different places.Phone is in the car charging.

Would never happen with a key in the ignition. Also if you are standing next to the car , someone can open the door on the opposite side, not good at night. But the first situation is the main one. I don't have room on my keyring for the big mazda fob, and i rarely drive it.

Sounds like your hate for it is merely user error. Sometimes I also hand off the car, but when that happens I make sure they have the fob, you're technically both to blame in that situation, her for not handing it to you, you for not asking for it. Also true about the fob if someone is standing next to the car. I've never been in a situation where that would be a factor. Then again, I've never had to use the panic button that's also on the fob, I suppose you'd use it in that situation.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

Sounds like your hate for it is merely user error. Sometimes I also hand off the car, but when that happens I make sure they have the fob, you're technically both to blame in that situation, her for not handing it to you, you for not asking for it. Also true about the fob if someone is standing next to the car. I've never been in a situation where that would be a factor. Then again, I've never had to use the panic button that's also on the fob, I suppose you'd use it in that situation.

Don't these cars give a "FOB NOT IN VEHICLE" warning or something? Both my Durango and the 300 will both ding at you THE ENTIRE TIME the fob isn't actually in the vehicle, as well as a warning on the dash. Nor will mine unlock from the passenger side if I'm on the driver side... not sure if that's a setting or not though.

Why would you prefer a key over a fob? Not trying to be critical here but I'm interested in your reasoning.

Our Mazda is the first fob vehicle I've owned. I like the idea of slipping the fob in my cargo pocket on my pants and leaving it there. One push on the door button unlocks everything. H

This should not happen in our 2 Nissans. Whenever the fob leaves the car there is visual and beeping warning that the fob is no longer in the car.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

It is user error, and its and example of too much tech. Tech making things more complicated rather that the kiss principle. It is my error, but keys work and are simple. Every time i drive this car, i reach to the steering column to remove the keys that are not there, its such a habit after 40 odd years of driving.

I don't remember any warning, but as i only drive it occasionally on weekends, i might have not paid attention to it. I'll have to see if it warns next time.

As to the panic feature, it would be useless as you would be used to getting in and out and starting the car with the fob in your pocket, so you would have to stop and find it in your pocket.

When i do an oil change, even though i fill the filter with oil, i usually bump the starter a few rounds without letting it start( not necessary but i do it). With the push button, you cannot bump the starter, once you press the button, it turns over until the engine starts.

My wife likes it, i just prefer the kiss principle.

Hopefully this stuff never finds its way into trucks. I want to upgrade like Ls1mike in a couple of years.

Last edited:
I thought Corvette took it to an even more extreme level, unlocks the doors as you approach it and locks when you leave. Means that anyone standing next to it could get in once it unlocks.

I of course had the same habit of removing the keys, but you get used to it if you drive it for a while. You just don't have it often enough to get used to it. I like it way better than the old method. Time marches on and new features tend to become standard. Someone was telling me how the kids these days have never seen a crack window until he bought a classic car that had crank windows and manual locks.

Anyway not sure how your car is set up. With Mercedes you can also start the car with the key and bump the starter if you like. Of course you can also accidentally start the car when it's already running that way, but with start/stop all you end up doing is stopping the car if it's already running so no danger of grinding your starter gears. The best part is you don't even have to crank it for the right amount of time, you just hit the button and the car cranks itself the proper amount of time til it starts. Of course when I change the oil, I never bother with bumping the starter. Had cars last to over 200k doing it that way and the current ones have over 100k.

When i do an oil change, even though i fill the filter with oil, i usually bump the starter a few rounds without letting it start( not necessary but i do it). With the push button, you cannot bump the starter, once you press the button, it turns over until the engine starts.

On most GM vehicles, you have not been able to do this for years. Even with the "old fashioned" key-start vehicles, the computer takes over the starting of the car. You bump the key, and the engine will continue to crank until it starts. I hope in my truck, barely touch the key into the start position and release it...the engine will crank until it starts. Try it!

Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
These days the folks in Saskabush have had to wise up from all the crime in the "big" cities like Regina and Saskatoon.

It still happens often enough in the small towns. Regina and Saskatoon will certainly be different and I'd expect Moose Jaw and Yorkton wised up. P.A. and North Battleford would have years ago, but you go to some of the small towns, you'll find plenty, sometimes even close enough to the cities.

I've contemplated doing this, but just can't. But I do leave my vehicles unlocked unless if I'm shopping. Even at work it sits unlocked; not sure if the big wigs still do it but I've seen guys just toss the keys on the seat before going inside. Been a few years since I've seen that though.

Yep, I remember years ago, one lady I knew got her truck stolen. She couldn't fathom the idea of NOT leaving her keys in the ignition. She was very worried about her neighbours needing it and not being able to get to use it. In the cities here, you'll see broken glass when thieves want in to steal items, of course. The small towns, why bother?

During the big custom bike craze some years back, I remember seeing an article about how motorcycle thieves were stealing exotic, expensive custom motorcycles from the parking lots of these high end night clubs along the Sunset Strip in L.A. These places were noted hangouts for rock stars, celebrities and others who liked being seen showing off on such contraptions. Many of them had bikes stolen worth in excess of $100K.

Crews would drive around in box trucks looking. They had enough guys to pick up the entire bike and carry it into the vehicle in a matter of seconds. Many of them had the clubs valets on the payroll. And paid them to call them when they had hot prospects pull in, then, "look the other way".

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Shoot a few hundred and the rest might smarten up...

Well they used to hang horse thieves back in the day but I guess things are a bit more lax than that today.

Anyway I was just reading how Mercedes new keyless go system now has a sensor where it shuts off the key fob if it doesn't detect any movement after a while, like when you put the keys on a table or just have it sitting around stationary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back