stock market

Finally working on my Roth today. Bit confusing, doing this all online, would be totally worth it to have someone walk me through it, at least once... even if I had to pay for it... oh well. I think the transfer has to go through, into the brokerage account, then I can transfer that and do 2020's Roth, then once that is done I can set up 2021's Roth--I think I will set that to automatic withdrawal. Going middle of the road? 2030 target fund (FFEGX), some growth but less risk, it can be part of my emergency fund. [Converting some of my emergency fund over, not all of it!]

Finally changing a "stable money fund" into a small cap fund, I'm more than 10 years out from retirement, so not sure why I have this fund in the first place (probably because I was a no-risk investor when I started). That gives me a blend of small (VSIGX) and large cap (TBCIX) funds, and target funds (FFIZX, FFEGX). Best setup? Not yet, but it's all still pretty confusing to me.

All of it is at Fidelity. But that reminds me, I should look at what my wife has for retirements, maybe I should link in her old 403b. I wonder how that would work? I know she hasn't touched it in 15 years.

Finally working on my Roth today. Bit confusing, doing this all online, would be totally worth it to have someone walk me through it, at least once... even if I had to pay for it... oh well. I think the transfer has to go through, into the brokerage account, then I can transfer that and do 2020's Roth, then once that is done I can set up 2021's Roth--I think I will set that to automatic withdrawal. Going middle of the road? 2030 target fund (FFEGX), some growth but less risk, it can be part of my emergency fund. [Converting some of my emergency fund over, not all of it!]

Finally changing a "stable money fund" into a small cap fund, I'm more than 10 years out from retirement, so not sure why I have this fund in the first place (probably because I was a no-risk investor when I started). That gives me a blend of small (VSIGX) and large cap (TBCIX) funds, and target funds (FFIZX, FFEGX). Best setup? Not yet, but it's all still pretty confusing to me.

All of it is at Fidelity. But that reminds me, I should look at what my wife has for retirements, maybe I should link in her old 403b. I wonder how that would work? I know she hasn't touched it in 15 years.
AFAIK, you don't want your IRA to ever hit a brokerage account. You open up a new IRA retirement account at the new broker and then transfer the old IRA retirement account into the new IRA account through transfer paperwork. I could be wrong and I've never had a ROTH IRA but once that money hits your brokerage account, it's a distribution and you open yourself up to penalties and whatnot.

AFAIK, you don't want your IRA to ever hit a brokerage account. You open up a new IRA retirement account at the new broker and then transfer the old IRA retirement account into the new IRA account through transfer paperwork. I could be wrong and I've never had a ROTH IRA but once that money hits your brokerage account, it's a distribution and you open yourself up to penalties and whatnot.
I used what tools they had online--it was a transfer from my savings account into the brokerage account. Not pulling from my 401k.

I used what tools they had online--it was a transfer from my savings account into the brokerage account. Not pulling from my 401k.
Ah. Good. My brokers use the terms brokerage account for regular account and retirement account for IRA. I was afraid you were moving IRA money from one account to another and bounced it off your regular non-retirement account.

You can just as easily call Fidelity and they'll walk you through the whole thing. I set up my SEP-IRA that way. And of course on the phone it's free. They do offer an advisory service. Used to be free when it's over a certain threshold. Looks like they charge now but maybe I'm grandfathered as they haven't charged me anything and they still have an advisor assigned to me but I don't really use them that much, just meet them once a year when they try to sell me more services.

I tried calling earlier but they were busy. Tried again and finally got in. Turns out, setting up automatic deduction from my paycheck puts it into the same asset allocation as how my 401k is set up; so that makes that part easy. So that will take care of 2021. Not sure on how to do 2020 at the moment; long phone wait... might have to wait until next week.

Did not realize how stressful this would be on me today, finally hitting some goals I've had for a while but putting rubber to the road...

Roth IRAs are great investments.

Most folks in the USA don’t even know what they are. They can tell you about some stupid reality TV show but nothing about saving for the future.

Anyone holding CCIV waiting for an announcement... or still with “diamond hands” holding GME?

Wow 15 years? Hopefully have it in a decent growth fund... 🤞

I few years ago I found out my dad had a small Roth IRA sitting in a CD earning 0.25% for the past 23 years...... 🤦‍♀️

Last edited:
Roth IRAs are great investments.

Most folks in the USA don’t even know what they are. They can tell you about some stupid reality TV show but nothing about saving for the future.
Agreed. Always load up the individual Roth IRA.

I set a reminder every year to ask my employer to allow Roth 403b instead of just traditional, not sure of their resistance...

My son missed gme but he's holding cciv.
I’m holding Vic, I did take a position in that a while ago at a reasonable entry point.

I don’t play games with situations like GME. In hindsight should have tried to short it at $400 but that’s ok. I just chuckle with all the “diamond hands” comments you see.

I’m holding Vic, I did take a position in that a while ago at a reasonable entry point.

I don’t play games with situations like GME. In hindsight should have tried to short it at $400 but that’s ok. I just chuckle with all the “diamond hands” comments you see.
I bought Gme at $38 and sold at $58. Then bought some at $152 and sold at $403. I got too greedy with NOK. Was up a lot but didn't sell and lost all my winnings and a little more. I'll check out Vic.

I bought Gme at $38 and sold at $58. Then bought some at $152 and sold at $403. I got too greedy with NOK. Was up a lot but didn't sell and lost all my winnings and a little more. I'll check out Vic.

Lol, stupid spellchecker. I don’t watch it close enough.... what it said as Vic above was cciv.

I never bought Game Stop but if I did I would have sold everything once it hit $300. Pure pump & dump.

Sometimes you have to take profits even though Reddit forums say do not sell. Some thought it would go to $600-700.

Last edited:
Wow 15 years? Hopefully have it in a decent growth fund... 🤞

I few years ago I found out my dad had a small Roth IRA sitting in a CD earning 0.25% for the past 23 years...... 🤦‍♀️
Split between a large cap fund and a target fund, working on adding a small cap fund also. Trying to figure out how to get more growth than a retirement target fund for a few years, then I will likely pull most or all into a target & let it do the work for me.

Now if I get lucky and have what I consider to be a bare minimum required for retirement in my target, then I'll let some ride on growth funds.

What about a large or mega cap growth fund ?

I got VUG and MGK ETFs in my Vanguard account, both have done well over the past 10 years.

Last edited:
Back