stock market

I think you guys are getting a little bent out of shape over what you don't really understand. These are limits on options/calls/puts/margin account. Those are different than people just buying regular shares and selling them. You used to have to go through elaborate setups in order to trade on margin or do options. More regulation on those than just buying regular shares.
No.....for many days robinhood was restricting purchases of GME(and many others) to 1 share per person....

I think you guys are getting a little bent out of shape over what you don't really understand. These are limits on options/calls/puts/margin account. Those are different than people just buying regular shares and selling them. You used to have to go through elaborate setups in order to trade on margin or do options. More regulation on those than just buying regular shares.
eToro is forcing stop loss on regular cash purchase, not margin. They would want you to double that amount (i.e. have 600 to buy 300 worth of shares) to completely remove the stop loss. I personally don't think it is political but they may have business reason to do it, like prioritizing their own risk or have business relationship reason to take side.

No.....for many days robinhood was restricting purchases of GME(and many others) to 1 share per person....
Ok, clearing house problem and liquidity problem. Switch to a different broker using a different clearing house. Some big ones like Fidelity, Charles Schwab, Etrade didn't have issues.

So someone could buy 25k worth of amazon, apple, etc via Robinhood
but only $200(1 share) of GME....

Their logic for restricting purchases doesn't add up.

So someone could buy 25k worth of amazon, apple, etc via Robinhood
but only $200(1 share) of GME....

Their logic for restricting purchases doesn't add up.
Clearing house problem. They didn't have enough liquidity. Probably too many people buying those shares and liquidity requirements went up for those shares.

Clearing house problem. They didn't have enough liquidity. Probably too many people buying those shares and liquidity requirements went up for those shares.
That makes you wonder if they will one day have other liquidity problems in more normal shares. Stick with a bigger broker from now on.

That makes you wonder if they will one day have other liquidity problems in more normal shares. Stick with a bigger broker from now on.
That's the danger of using a low cap brokerage firm. They did do some innovative things initially but now all the big brokerages do the same so no reason to stick with them.

Fidelity had revenues of over 18 billion. Higher than T Rowe Price or Schwab. They won't need to raise a few billion here and there like Robinhood.

That's the danger of using a low cap brokerage firm. They did do some innovative things initially but now all the big brokerages do the same so no reason to stick with them.

Fidelity had revenues of over 18 billion. Higher than T Rowe Price or Schwab. They won't need to raise a few billion here and there like Robinhood.
The thing is, I'm using TD A and it should not be a low cap brokerage.

TD is for people like me with little money in their account.....
Doesn't preclude you from switching to Fidelity. No fees and no minimum.

So the shares are not shorted you need to have the stock certificates sent to you. If they are held by the brokerage or clearing firm they can be borrowed and shorted.
They don't do paper certificates anymore. It's 2021. You might be able to get one after some begging but it's all electronic now.

That’s also the danger of people with minimal capital using these brokerages to trade speculative stocks. The beauty of RH and others, was that when retail brokerages limited what stocks they would DRIP, when they charged trading fees, etc. these small guys were a good way to cheaply get a few shares here and there and use that to save some money. To expect them to do much else was to me, always questionable.

I have TD, E*TRADE, RH and Webull accounts, and my wife and kids have others too. Each one is slightly different and brings something else to the table.

But I had no expectations on these tiny brokerages, and every day wonder if their time is up in terms of utility.

JHZR2,

I have TD, Vanguard for personal investments and Fidelity for my 401K.

Fidelity is the best for research and info. Vanguard is the most basic.

JHZR2,

I have TD, Vanguard for personal investments and Fidelity for my 401K.

Fidelity is the best for research and info. Vanguard is the most basic.
I have everything consolidated in my Fidelity account, even a Vanguard fund.

Back