Stock market!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working in the industry, I can tell you that most of us have info that is weeks if not months ahead of what comes out the horses mouth.
Back in early March I was head butting with my school district to NOT send my kids to the state legislature for a field trip, right after they came back from their field trip, the GOV shut down the school.

When you face uncertainty, it was good to hear both sides and weigh them and then go with your gut or other parts of your body!

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Just wait until the earnings start rolling in.

Yes but drastically lower numbers are expected. It will be other news that affects individual stocks.

It's a bit of a no man's land right now. Some companies are expected to fold. They weren't the healthiest ones to start with. If a big name starts hitting the rumor boards then that will be big news. Think Macy's.

I fully expect Carnival Cruises to fold along with some of the airlines. Its very difficult to imagine anyone who would like to go on a cruise. If you ask me honestly...would you like to go on a cruise right now even at an extreme discount or for free..NO. Would you like to go on a cruise 3 months from now even at an extreme discount or for free...NO. I guess I would not feel comfortable going on a cruise until there is a vaccine and its injected into me and its taken effect which is about a year or more. Same with the airlines. I cant imagine jumping on an airliner now or even months from now.

Trading a stock like Carnival Cruises will be different than my dire prediction. There will be unpredictable snap back rallies and times where it floats sideways. However, I believe after seeing ship after ship out at sea on television with a swarm of virus victims...I think its safe to assume. No one wants to go on a cruise for quite a while.

I would personally stick with Basic Materials ETFS. I have been burned by small cap stocks in the past and thats my preference to stick with. In general, I think select stocks and etfs in the Basic Materials section will do well.

Last edited:
Let all the cruise lines fail, they are not based in the USA.

Much more important industries to help out than unimportant cruise ships.

Haha! I never liked cruises anyway. Lots of unhealthy food and nowhere to go onboard. I would rather go on a standard vacation to a hotel.

S &P 2,470.50 −114.09 (4.41%)

DOW 20,943.51 −973.65 (4.44%)

S & P numbers are more revealing...

PPT brakes are now gradually being released. The death spiral is probably going to happen soon.

Who said take Jeffie with a grain of salt?...He's the new Bill Gross.

Wait til the 240,000th is counted then look at where we are at....SPXU

Originally Posted by Navi
I fully expect Carnival Cruises to fold along with some of the airlines. Its very difficult to imagine anyone who would like to go on a cruise. If you ask me honestly...would you like to go on a cruise right now even at an extreme discount or for free..NO. Would you like to go on a cruise 3 months from now even at an extreme discount or for free...NO. I guess I would not feel comfortable going on a cruise until there is a vaccine and its injected into me and its taken effect which is about a year or more. Same with the airlines. I cant imagine jumping on an airliner now or even months from now.

Trading a stock like Carnival Cruises will be different than my dire prediction. There will be unpredictable snap back rallies and times where it floats sideways. However, I believe after seeing ship after ship out at sea on television with a swarm of virus victims...I think its safe to assume. No one wants to go on a cruise for quite a while.

I would personally stick with Basic Materials ETFS. I have been burned by small cap stocks in the past and thats my preference to stick with. In general, I think select stocks and etfs in the Basic Materials section will do well.

Well once you could have a cruise for all those who had it and recovered. You'd have to find staff that also already had it. Plus like large projects, even if the cruise lines go under, the ships are still around and someone else will buy the ships and operate it. Sorta like some large projects like the Panama canal or some nuclear power plants that went under several times before it finally ended up with one company. The company may disappear, but not the asset.

Originally Posted by Navi
Haha! I never liked cruises anyway. Lots of unhealthy food and nowhere to go onboard. I would rather go on a standard vacation to a hotel.

Last time I was on a cruise I was like 10 and the food always made me sick. I wasn't used to rich unhealthy food like that. Lol

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Let all the cruise lines fail, they are not based in the USA.

Much more important industries to help out than unimportant cruise ships.

I'm not sure on Royal Caribbean or Norwegian, although their names are somewhat self explanatory, but both Carnival and Disney (obviously) are American companies.

I'm not a fan of them not being registered in the US though. We went on a Royal Caribbean Cruise just before the real scare started and the ship was flying the Bahamian flag.

Not a fan at all, but if they are trying to evade higher taxes, perhaps someone higher up in the government should look into this and make whatever fees more reasonable.

Just call me a hypocrite though. We both love cruises. I've been on several. The wife and I have been on 2 since we got married last spring. We'll definitely go on more in the future. The key is to get off the ship and do something at every port. I've talked to many people who stay on the ship the whole time. ...¶

Last edited:
I expect the cruise ship industry will be forever changed after this. They have had problems for a long time with other illnesses that spread throughout the ship despite the efforts to stay clean. Packing thousands into a tight space is probably not going to looked upon favorably from here on out.

Consolidation is going to happen in the travel sector whether it's cruise ship companies, airlines, hotels or whatever.

Jobs numbers are due out today. The consensus is going for job losses between 4 to 5 million. If the number exceeds that by a big margin then expect the markets to react.

One analyst has predicted 9 million jobs lost for the last week.

Yes, let all cruise ships fail.

Ships are a floating Petri Dish with people packed in like sardines.

Look at all the Norwalk Virus outbreaks every year on these cruise ships and this happen regularly long before ______ .

I think it will or it will transform. How that will happen I don't know.

Currently I have family members who work for the cruise and shipping industry. One is stuck on a cruise ship docked in Spain somewhere, the other is on a cargo vessel in Russia with the same circumstances. I'm sure they see the writing on the wall.

Royal Carribean and Disney do excellent jobs at keeping things clean. The ship we were on had hand washing stations before the dining room even.

I understand people think they're dirty, but how different is it than going to Walmart or the mall?

I'm not sure what everyone does on a cruise, but we hardly ever find ourselves in "crowds" unless it's at a performance. They're big enough you can maintain a reasonable distance from people.

It think it's the time frame. Nobody spends several days at Walmart.

The key factor imo are passengers who spend thousands to book a cruise and come down with a cold or some minor illness and go through with it anyway. Normally it wouldn't be a big deal but it's accentuated on a cruise ship especially with the close proximity of people and the touching of surfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back