Started bike without oil

Pulled the stupidest stunt I've ever done in my life after 51 years of wrenching on bikes. Details not important, but started my bike without any oil in it and ran it for about 30-45 seconds. During this time I put it into and out of 1st gear a couple times, and ran it mostly at idle before I realized my error and quickly shut it off.
I filled it with oil after this, ran it for five minutes. Dumped the new oil and refilled again. I checked my magnetic drain plug and it showed no metal particles. The bike seems to sound fine while running with no evident problems.
What are the chances I've done some long term damage to the motor?

A few previous threads on this somewhat popular topic. Many of these are automobiles but the difference between those and a bike are not quantifiable, same as "what are the chances I've done some long term damage to the motor" question.

My dad just did something similar with the F150. Started the truck with no oil to drive it on ramps. I quickly yelled and he shut it off within 30 seconds. Not super worried about this I think it will survive :)

In a plain bearing engine the odds are 50% chance for long term damage and 50% chance no long term damage... to 100% know for sure open up the cases and inspect or install new bearings...
Same thing with running too low a viscosity, only it just takes longer to happen. 😄

Pulled the stupidest stunt I've ever done in my life after 51 years of wrenching on bikes. Details not important, but started my bike without any oil in it and ran it for about 30-45 seconds. During this time I put it into and out of 1st gear a couple times, and ran it mostly at idle before I realized my error and quickly shut it off.
Not ran long enough, and if only idled it probably didn't do any real damage. Might have caused a little bit of extra wear but I wouldn't worry about it ... keep riding.

The above post is a legitimate one. If it had been sitting for days then you may lose some oil film. However if it was shortly after draining I would fill her up and ride it. You aren't gonna tear the engine down to check for any type of wear so just get on it and enjoy.

IMO it's probably just fine. Maybe a little extra wear, maybe... but you say it was mostly idle so cylinder pressures were minimal. Run it.

Something to consider, even though there is no oil pressure during a start with no oil, it's likely that some residual oil was in the oil pump and galleries (along with the oil filter if it was installed and full) and so on. The oil pump moved air, and along with that air pushed some residual oil into the rod bearing. At least for a time. It is good to know that oil presence is what matters, and I'm guessing you had some residual oil.

So your situation could be completely fine.

Back