Honda runs with no oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was supposed to do an oil change on a 1997 or 1998 Civic today and when I removed the drain plug there was no oil to drain! Not even a drop. The oil light was not on when I pulled it into the shop and the engine sounded as it should. Installed a new washer and snugged up the drain plug. I removed the oil filter which felt heavy (full) and hardly any oil came out of that either. The little that did come out did not look like oil but more like tar. Put the 3L or so that it calls for and sent it on it's way. I could not believe what I had just witnessed.

I did one a while back that drained out about a quart. No noise before or after, no oil pressure light either. This one was a 1.7 though.

Stick a screwdriver in the oil drain hole. Sludge may be preventing the oil from draining out.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
+1 for the screwdriver trick.

I'd also inform the customer.

Last person to touch it is the first person to blame.

This!

Always "CYA"---- Cover your butt.

Did you check the oil level after pour in 3 liters of oil ? The sludge may prevent oil drain out of the drain hole. The screwdriver trick is applicable in this car.

I'm doing pcv valves and vacuum tests over half a quart.
sleep.gif

The OP said he put in 3 liters of oil. Don't most cars take 4.5 to 5 liters or quarts? That's an indication right there that the drain hole is plugged.

I recently had same issue on a '96 F-150 I bought for cheap, got maybe two tea cups of oil out of it when I pulled the drain plug... So I screwed on a fresh cheapie Drive Works filter, dumped in three misc quarts(yes it was still three low) and ran it for five or so hours over the next couple of weeks before I put it on the road... When I dropped that oil it looked like something that hadn't been changed in probably 15K mi, very dirty... Did a fill with QSGB and at 900 plus miles it's still full, must have had over 20-25K mi to use five quarts(there one in the filter) of oil from that prev oil change...

BTW yes it runs fine, with no smoke or drip, has 176Kmi...

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
The OP said he put in 3 liters of oil. Don't most cars take 4.5 to 5 liters or quarts? That's an indication right there that the drain hole is plugged.

Probably closer to 3.5L. I made sure it was correct on the oil level indicator.

well, thats a testament to honda then. adding oil will probably blow the engine versus leaving it alone. keep us informed.

Spoke to the driver of the Civic today and asked if everything was ok with the car. I was waiting for the "Ever since you worked on my car..." line but claimed that everything was ok. I was asked if I noticed anything wrong with the car while I was working on it and advised that there was no oil to change! The respone I got was "Yeah...I know." I assume the oil light must have been flickering on and off for days which prompted the oil change. I should have stated that the low oil pressure indicator is NOT a "Maintenance Required" indicator...LOL! This model does not have that option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back