Ran tiller with NO OIL? Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came to work and was telling a buddy I'd just switched my Troybilt tiller over to Schaeffer oil and he said "I ran mine without oil and seized it up today." Says its an Airens 5HP about 10 yrs old and he'd drained oil this am, got sidetracked and did something else and then started it up and ran it for 15-30 mins then seized up. Is there anything he can do to try and fix without tearing it down? Man, I thought I felt bad yesterday after getting a speeding ticket. Guess I feel better now. That sucks. Said he poured some oil in spark plug hole and piston was near TDC and it kept pouring in. Guess the valve was open, huh? I thought some penetro or penetrating oil would help but not sure. It's probably boat anchor material. Thanks, Gary.
crushedcar.gif

I am betting the mtor is shot. 15-30 minutes with no oil usually doesnt do anything good for a motor.

Have him remove SP and pour about 2-4 oz. of Mobil 5W30 into the spark plug hole and let it soak past the rings.

Then have him attempt to turn the crank by hand.

If it frees up, then replace the plug and attempt to start. If it runs without noises, then minimum damage may have occurred. Sometimes the crank is bent with this sudden stopping. If that is the case, then it is toast.

If it doesn't free up, the rings have dug into the cylinder wall and has siezed permanently.

EDIT: Of course, one may also have damaged the bearings and crank beyond repair.

[ March 23, 2003, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

That's funny. My dad has an OLD SCHOOL sears lawn mower, like a 1970 model. We have several other lawn mowers, so me and a friend decided what the hell, lets kill the old sears mower by running it with no oil. To this day, it still fires right up and runs like a raped ape. I ran it for a while with no oil, it ran fine. I did add new oil to it cause the dam thing keeps running
dunno.gif
It won't die
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

i had a 4wheeler i mistakenly ran gasoline with no oil mix in once. it ran for like 10 minutes untill this grinding noise started and the engine seized up and i skidded to a stop (back tyre wouldnt turn no more).

i used a 2x4 block of wood and a nice big hammer to pound on the piston untill it freed up. then dumped a bunch of oil in the crankcase and cylinder area. i kickstarted it about 20 times with no spark plug in it. then put the plug back in, added a rich mixture of gas/oil and it started up and ran.
i lost about 45psi on the compression guage, but who cares, it runs.

for somthing like a tiller engine, i wouldnt really care of it had bearing knocking or piston slap. i would say free it up and run it till it self destructs. its cheaper than buying a new one. maybe he can get 2 or 3 seasons out of this bad engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back