Start/stop feature - the worst function ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, and I will avoid owning one for as long as possible. I won't say I'll never own one in this day and age of this stuff being forced upon everyone...
It's just another way to improve numbers with CAFE. That's why it can't be permanently disabled. And it's been out for a while and you don't have a lot of broken starters. But it may surprise you to know that the aux battery that it requires typically fails pretty often. The starters are fine though, they knew enough to beef them up. Haven't had a starter fail in a long time although alternator failures are still pretty common. Last car did over 200k on the original starter. Some like having the aux battery fail, then the start stop doesn't kick in. But you do get an error message.

Auto stop/start has been out for almost 10 years, where are all the failed components? I have it in our Atlas, it's fine, takes a few minutes to get used to/change your habits a bit. The only time I don't care for it is in the summer when it's really hot it *can* still cut if off/meet all the variables when it really shouldn't due to keeping the cabin temp/humidity in check. Easy, slight release of the brake pedal and it's running again.
There isn't in any vast numbers. This is one item of misinformation posted on car forums.

I can deal with the start stop feature much better than the seat belt warning chimes. It’s so loud in my truck.
I modified my old behavior and now I try to buckle up before doing anything, then unbuckle when the car is off. My wife's Subaru has a L-O-U-D warning signal and it gets louder with time when ignored.

There isn't in any vast numbers. This is one item of misinformation posted on car forums.
But does ANYONE have any of this data? The manufacturers tend keep all of this close to their vest and self reported CR data is invalid IMO as most consumers are not savvy to report properly.

Nope, and I will avoid owning one for as long as possible. I won't say I'll never own one in this day and age of this stuff being forced upon everyone...
AP7bVJ.jpg

But does ANYONE have any of this data? The manufacturers tend keep all of this close to their vest and self reported CR data is invalid IMO as most consumers are not savvy to report properly.
There could be data out there. But anecdotal evidence perusing different Internet forums across the Internet would suggest they are not breaking in any major numbers. And you know how it is-the complaints get posted-the good things don't.

He doesn't know, he just likes arguing...

I didn't think any function could top the stupidity of GM's CAGS (the skip-shift feature on GM cars equipped with M6 trannies), but I believe the stop/start feature is even worse. At least on some vehicles it can be disabled, but doing so is required every time the ignition is cycled on/off. I don't care how beefy of a starter is used in vehicles that have this feature, the wear and tear on these units has got to be through the roof. And I can imagine the repair/replacement cost of these items is astronomical...
you'd be incorrect on all accounts

How do you know? Are you the keeper of the failed stop/start starter ledger?
In all the forums and FB groups and where folks go to complain, where is it? Lord knows you can find every common issue with every car online/forums/FB groups but in the 20 years I've been avidly part of those communties, since the advent of start/stop, I've never heard of a single common/reported issue related to it beyond batteries in the VW Atlas that weren't up to the task and were subsequently replaced with batteries that were.

They've been out for a while now. Where are all the broken starters?
In the cars parked next to the cars that died due to 0W20 usage. Which are parked next to the cars with dead automatics that had more than 4 speeds. Which are parked next to the cars with TPMS, VSC, backup camera et al, which were too expensive to fix and the cars were junked instead.

Somedays I find it amazing when I see any new car going down the road, you'd think their owners would be too scared to take it out of the driveway.

In the cars parked next to the cars that died due to 0W20 usage. Which are parked next to the cars with dead automatics that had more than 4 speeds. Which are parked next to the cars with TPMS, VSC, backup camera et al, which were too expensive to fix and the cars were junked instead.

Somedays I find it amazing when I see any new car going down the road, you'd think their owners would be too scared to take it out of the driveway.
Wins.

Starter issues have been rare for decades, and they continue to be rare on start/stop equipped cars. However, start/stop not working in not rare, and can account for the low failure rate in starters.

That's my experience as a dealer tech anyway.

Hyundai got rid of start/stop after a few years too. so it was only a few years where the system standard on most cars.

Yes -My Silverado towing through the Rocky Mountains on a regular basis towing my 5,000 pound-30 foot travel w/the 5.3 running 0w/20 should have self-destructed miles ago-according to some on here!

GREAT POST BTW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back