Spray Seafoam into Intake pipe before throttle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I tried searching if anyone did this before, or call me crazy. Engine is a 2000' Mercedes 4.3L V8 SOHC with 70K miles.

I'm trying to see what your responses are - if I sprinkle/sparingly spray seafoam into the intake pipe (after MAF sensor and after intake filter). So, the seafoam will be cleaning the intake pipe and throttle body before hitting the intake manifolds and etcs. Hopefully, it will clean up most of the gunk or carbon.

What Do you guys think? Or should I aviod this? any constructive input is highly appreciated.
- I know I should use brake booster line
- And please don't tell me anything about AutoRX in this thread, thanks !

First I like to remove components that can be removed and put back in an hour or less. If it doesn't really need a gasket, it comes off and cleaned by hand with a rag and solvent. Now as far as while engine is running treatments, I use brake booster but have used pcv in the past. If the oriface is rather large and creates a vacuum leak that wont let the engine run at all, you can jam a length of extra vacuum hose inside to shrink it down to a size that doesn't make the engine race too much as you do the seafoam suck method. Since it's not atomized very well it works in other ways than foaming and misting cleaners... but seafoam has its place. I would like to think at 70k miles you need little more than a wipe down here and there rather than $$$ on a bunch of chemicals. I'd just inspect the pcv tract(s) and see how much junk is sticking around and go from there.

i used to spray w/ deep creep (liquid seafoam) then follow up w/ throttle body cleaner because seafoam is oily and leaves a heavy residue

now i just use throttle body cleaner, or hot water followed by TB cleaner if i do a steam clean

I also like to manually clean the throttle body bore and plate.
This makes cars idle smoother and more consistently.
Then use your cleaners in the gas tank.

The only reason I wanted to spray seafoam or misting seafoam into the intake tract is because of my laziness. Remove all those parts to reach for the throttle isn't something I wanna do at this time of the year when it's almost zero degree celcius out there. No one had done this before?

If you are idling OK, don't spray anything in the intake.
Get to it in spring with a manual cleaning - and watch out for bears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back