Is SeaFoam in the gas worth it, or is it a waste?

Basically, is adding SeaFoam to a tank of gasoline.. a waste, or can it have benefit. ?

After doing research, it would seem to me.. that, if there is any benefit (and there does seem to be some if not overdone,) SeaFoam is better suited to either going directly into the crankcase of oil, or for induction/intake cleaning (your decarbonization through either the brake booster, some other vacuum line, or, just directly into the air intake via throttle plate. Sprayed or misted or regular liquid, if careful.)

Would you agree or disagree with that?

Would you add SeaFoam to a tank of gas or not?

Seafoam used an ounce per gallon keeps carburetors and fuel systems clean. I only use it on carburetors.

^^ Yeah, Im not sure why anyone would want to add something to anything with no purpose.
All that can happen is that something can cause an issue where no issue exists.
Modern fuel seems to be doing a fine job on its own in all the vehicles on the road without Seafoam being added, could the same be said if Seafoam was added to every vehicle on the road?

everyone's switched to 640:1 TC-W3.
That is what I have been using (mainly because I got a bunch cheap) in my 17 Nissan Frontier. I really think it has gotten a little better gas mileage since I started using it.

In my classics I use MMO in the gas. Of course in those I also use E-0 gas and some lead additive, and high ZDDP oil.

I have lost faith in Seafoam in recent years after having been a fan since the late 90's. It has served a purpose in my lawnmower's gas tank but for my vehicles I have not noticed any difference for several years.

I have mentioned elsewhere that I have had good to great results using Royal Purple fuel additive products such as their Max Clean fuel system cleaner (it is like Seafoam on steroids) and their Max Atomizer fuel injector cleaner which has been an absolute revelation in terms of the immediate, noticable difference it made as well as the long term effects since using it.

I tell everyone to skip Seafoam and the like and use RP Max Clean instead. It does everything better and the effects last for at least 10,000 miles.

I have heard claims by others that adding Seafoam to the gas tank has made it possible to pass emissions testing. Anyone have any experience with that?

Other than that, I see no use to add anything to the fuel tank. Use Top Tier fuel, as formulated by the experts, and stay away from wasting money.

I have heard claims by others that adding Seafoam to the gas tank has made it possible to pass emissions testing. Anyone have any experience with that?

Other than that, I see no use to add anything to the fuel tank. Use Top Tier fuel, as formulated by the experts, and stay away from wasting money.

I thought that was in mist or liquid form directly into the intake, as direct as possible (even moreso than a brake booster line) and then the emissions numbers were "like new."

I have heard that putting it into the gas.. unless you put in a LOT and it is on the expensive side ($6.88 for Seafoam, $2.97 for MMO) that it simply isn't concentrated enough and similar enough to the gasoline that it's a waste.

I may be putting some in my oil because I may have a partially clogged something.

They do have a fuel stabilizer under their brand if you were looking for something like that but I don’t know how well that works or anything.

I've never thought Seafoam was all that great for auto use, but man, read some outboard/fishing forums and people swear by it. That and Yamaha Ring Free. They make it seem mandatory.
I'm going to have a small outboard to run soon, but since we can't get E0 here and it will sip fuel, I'm more likely to run TruFuel and no additives.
I wouldn't use Seafoam in vehicles - too many better options, IMO.

I think the issue with SeaFoam, at least in the gas, as I understand it is twofold.

The first is, that you have to put a LOT in.. because I have heard it said, there simply isn't enough of it, or it powerful enough, to do anything in any regular amount of gasoline. Even a quarter tank is a stretch and if you're like me.. it never goes below half. (Mine loves on F.)

The second of it is that it is not PEA-based, it, and products like it like Berryman B-12, take a different approach to cleaning and it is not as effective.

That said, if I ever want to "waste" $7 (Walmart price. It should not cost more) then the car DOES feel like a rocketship, difference can be noticed...

I put some Seafoam into both of my vehicles recently, in high concentration, added to the gas tank. Didn't change anything. I always purchase Chevron gas when possible, especially since I live next to a native reservation with ultra-cheap gas. I think Seafoam in the gas worked better back in the day when more brands of cheap gas were not Top-Tier. Now, even Arco is Top-Tier and should keep fuel systems clean.

I used a can of the Seafoam spray into the throttle of my pickup truck a month ago and it seems to idle a bit smoother and quieter now. It's probably important to use the spray Seafoam instead of regular Seafoam through a vacuum hose, since the spray atomizes and carries into the engine better.

If you are having driveability issues such as hard starting, rough idle, sluggish performance... adding SeaFoam could potentially help that. But depending on the cause of the issue, using SeaFoam could also be a waste of money. Just remember there is no substitute for proper repairs. If the problem comes back after using the additive, you have something else going on that needs to be fixed, and continuing to use the fuel additive will be just a band-aid and not a real solution.

Back