CRC Intake Valve Cleaning : Vacuum Hose or Throttle Body ?

Time for the Hyundai GDI to have a intake valve cleaning with CRC ... Spraying into the throttle body intake requires some disassembly of air dam and awkward to get an easy spray pattern into the throttle body (doable but a pain) . The vacuum hose coming off the PCV fitting is super easy to get to - the feeling though is I might not reach all 4 cylinders intake valves equally for cleaning as well this way versus another vacuum line (brake booster ?) or sticking with the throttle body intake ... Your thoughts ?

I think PCV vacuum line, brake booster vac line or throttle body will yield the same result with these spray products. Any of these ways will probably require someone feathering the go-pedal because of E-throttle. I'm not really sure they'd do anything for intake valves that have a lot of cooked on carbon.

Thanks for the replies - CRC IVC is one of the better products IF you use it every 10K ~ 12K miles ... I think I will split usage between the PVC line and the brake booster line for grins ... Last time I went through the additional disassembly to go through the intake manifold .

So for those with experience with this stuff, the following:
1) From Day-1 (car is new) and you did it every 5,000 miles (8,000 km), can you avoid having to do a walnut shell blast?
2) Would going through the MAP sensor hole (behind the throttle body) be even better? In the past, I've used one of those longer straws you can fit to the nozzle, fed it through the hole and sprayed it closer to the further cylinders.

CRC posted some pretty interesting results here:

sea foam won't dissolve carbon, carburetor cleaner or b12 will make quick work of carbon. I'm guessing the crc stuff is closer to carb cleaner than snake oil

So for those with experience with this stuff, the following:
1) From Day-1 (car is new) and you did it every 5,000 miles (8,000 km), can you avoid having to do a walnut shell blast?
2) Would going through the MAP sensor hole (behind the throttle body) be even better? In the past, I've used one of those longer straws you can fit to the nozzle, fed it through the hole and sprayed it closer to the further cylinders.

1. I'd wager yes. I don't want to remove the manifold for cleaning and definitely don't want some schmuck bla$ting my valves.
2. I prefer into the TB or the piping to the TB(or directly into turbo if equipped). I don't care for vacuum lines. Distance closer or not shouldn't make a difference.

I've used most available products and they work. I do understand that many aren't smart enough to follow the simple directions and then complain about their results. And, many have an opinion on a product that they've never used which I can't comment on without being banned.

STP-IVD-VW-GDI-TSI-intake-valve-cleaning3.jpg
STP-IVD-VW-GDI-TSI-intake-valve-cleaning11.jpg

lubegardsprayedinturbo (1).jpg

seafoam at throttle body.jpg

crc post air filter tubing.jpg

How about this. Would it be any worthwhile to pre-soak the intake valves by snaking the straw through the MAP sensor hole over to each of the manifolds and giving them each a 10 s (or so) spray before you start the whole 2000 RPM thing? Maybe do this pre-soak thing after you've driven the car around and it's still hot?

if you can get cleaner to sit directly on the valves it should clean really good, but then all the carbon you broke loose might re-gap your spark plugs or something. it would be an interesting experiment

Good luck with snaking anything thru these multi/variable runner or intercooler equipped manifolds. You can try whatever you want but I don't see the need for anymore than a good a good fuel based cleaner and then any of the intake cleaners. Don't need to make it any more complex than it is. Can even break out your wife's home/kitchen/bathroom steam cleaner too, if you don't want to use chemicals.

Good luck with snaking anything thru these multi/variable runner or intercooler equipped manifolds. You can try whatever you want but I don't see the need for anymore than a good a good fuel based cleaner and then any of the intake cleaners. Don't need to make it any more complex than it is. Can even break out your wife's home/kitchen/bathroom steam cleaner too, if you don't want to use chemicals.
I'm thinking it should be a simple process. I will snake the straw through this port. It's just a short distance over to the four manifolds. A boroscope would be handy.

Attachments

• PXL_20230116_025135534~2.jpg
    PXL_20230116_025135534~2.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 149
My thaughts always change the oil when your done. I use CRC GDI every other oil change (10k). Then in between on the 5k OCI I use a can of Berryman throttle body cleaner. With only 142k miles and crap CA 91 octane I got the PO430 cat code. 2015 Acura MDX

Besides that one posting on that forum (linked to before in this thread).. has anyone else (maybe this forum?) used an inspection camera and looked in on their valves after using this stuff? To see the results..

Regardless of the solvent used, I would prefer to spray thru the throttle body, at least in this instance (I just wiped out the collected oil):

20210813_143819 Intake_Plenum Removed.jpg

Just because it rattles, doesn't mean the PCV valve is doing it's job. Perhaps it's because the engine is port injected, there is minimal intake deposits (98k miles).

20230407_145822_cropped_rotated.jpg

How about this. Would it be any worthwhile to pre-soak the intake valves by snaking the straw through the MAP sensor hole over to each of the manifolds and giving them each a 10 s (or so) spray before you start the whole 2000 RPM thing? Maybe do this pre-soak thing after you've driven the car around and it's still hot?
Breaking loose too much carbon at one time is a good way to ruin the cylinder wall.

I did that once with a remote control model airplane engine. Tried to clean it and end up ruining it.

Back