Is my flathead Briggs dead?

If it has an air vane governor that won't work without the shroud either. It probably was running fast.
Most mowers don't run at 3600 rpm, it depends on the blade length - tip speed and all.

It didn’t run any different yesterday versus the past many years. As I think about it, I’ve seen smoking from it before. Not this much though unfortunately.

I just mowed with it today. I do t think it’s as bad as the video makes it look. Obviously something is vibrating though…

yes not very large/long, this is suburbia, but it’s about 45…

How would I check that? I think it has a spring loaded thing on the carb, right?

I would say you’re on to something. A number of years ago it wasn’t running as I thought it should, I checked everything over, and believe it ran faster after. But I didn’t change anything that I’m aware of. What shoukd I check?
Check speed with one of these. Amazon for around $15.
IMG_20220515_152505725_HDR.jpg

They bend when you hit something like a stump or snag a root with the blade. My coworker hit an axe laying in the grass and not only bent the crank but he cracked his crankcase. The mower and his underwear were a total loss.
I don’t know that I’ve hit a root but we do have a lot of maples around that push roots up, and somewhat irregular heights between grass and sidewalk.

Back