Spray in bed liners

I’ve never done this but the diy roll in kits look pretty self explanatory. My question is are they worth it? How well do they hold up? I watched a test of various spray/ roll in liners on YouTube done by project farm and honestly none of them seemed particularly impressive. What’s the real world experience say? I know most the plastic drop in liners are durable but hold water underneath and are slick as snot in the rain. Let me know what you guys think. Look forward to hearing your input.

Put bed liner on before you sell or trade the truck to hide all the scratches in the bed.

Our short-lived F150 had the spray in liner and it was basically 100% useless. It is grippier in the rain if you need to get in the bed pretty often but otherwise I wouldn't go through the trouble to put it on a truck that didn't have it.

The professionally-installed spray-ins are the way to go. I had one put in the Canyon in 2015 immediately after purchase, and while it's gone dull from sitting in the sun 24/7, nothing has breached it. It's tough as nails.

Drop ins.....some may have success with them, but to me, they look like a rust issue waiting to happen.

My truck has a spray-in and I think it's good. It has some oxidation, maybe it just needs cleaning, but... it's a truck. The liner is for functionality not looks. Grippy and avoids rust from scratched paint. I think it's worth doing.

Personally I'd never have a spray in liner on a truck I plan on using the bed on. Going to make it more difficult to slide firewood, lumber or a dead deer into the bed than a plastic drop in. All personal preference I guess.

I did use the roll on bed liner on the bed rails of my 99 Chevy. I took off some bars that caused rust where they mounted. Cleaned up the surface really well and applied Herculiner. It rolled on nicely and never faded. Only issue I had was that it would chip away around the stake pockets when I hooked a ratchet strap end to them. I just kept a can of spray on to touch up those spots as needed. I had the truck about 4 years and I redid the rails soon after purchase.

I find my Line-X premium to be on the fragile side. I chipped off a decent sized chunk while loading a sharper table. The installer fixed it under warranty and I have not experienced any further issues. But I have also gotten more careful.

Worth it to pay for professionals to do it. Air temp and humidity can play major roles in how well it applies. My truck had Rhino Lining sprayed onto it nearly 30 years ago. The lining hasn't chipped or faded in integrity at all, even though the bed has been used and abused with all sorts of dents. It is true that stuff doesn't slide quite as easily as poly-carb lay-down bed liners, but that can be a bonus when you have stuff you don't want sliding around without having to strap it down. For loading ply wood or something, the spray in liners don't make any difference once the first sheet is laid down, at which point you're sliding wood on wood for the rest of the load no matter what's lining your truck bed.

I like the Ford factory version..
5.jpg

I like the Ford factory version..View attachment 55105
Ford/GM do not spray the bedliner at the assembly plant. The trucks are taken offsite to a vendor, GFX, for the spraying:

You're just paying for the Ford name and an inferior warranty on the job.

edit: Rumor is that Ultimate Linings is the product that is used. Not sure if this is true:

Ford/GM do not spray the bedliner at the assembly plant. The trucks are taken offsite to a vendor, GFX, for the spraying:

You're just paying for the Ford name and an inferior warranty on the job.

edit: Rumor is that Ultimate Linings is the product that is used. Not sure if this is true:
Thrilled with mine and it was in the MSRP and negotiated from there.

View attachment 55109
Or Line-X with a bedrug?

I prefer this combo. The bedrug prevents items from sliding in the bed. To me that is a preferred characteristic, but it is not for everyone.
Well that looks nice.

How would the bed rug hold up without the tonneau cover? I have had rubber mats at 20 years old and still holding up well (no covers installed).

my present truck has a sprayed liner and i really don’t care one way or another about it (it was port or dealer installed). If the truck I bought had not had a sprayed in liner, I would not have added one. I put in one of the thicker rubber mats (Dee Zee brand) and its much better. The bed rug looks nice though, and I assume cleaning it if greasy wouldn’t be too bad either?

Last edited:
Or Line-X with a bedrug?

I prefer this combo. The bedrug prevents items from sliding in the bed. To me that is a preferred characteristic, but it is not for everyone.

Ive had a rubber mat in my 98 S-10 forever. It has been good, but it doesnt protect the wheelwells of course. Ive generally been careful, but my plan is to do exactly what you show. It will protect all surfaces and keep the bottom (high wear) area from taking bigger hits.

whatever Nissan used in my 2011 SV fronty is great, even hauling + scooping coal directly off it, still good. DIY my gone colorado for under a bill, decent but chipped hauling coal etc but easily touched up.

I’ve never done this but the diy roll in kits look pretty self explanatory. My question is are they worth it? How well do they hold up? I watched a test of various spray/ roll in liners on YouTube done by project farm and honestly none of them seemed particularly impressive. What’s the real world experience say? I know most the plastic drop in liners are durable but hold water underneath and are slick as snot in the rain. Let me know what you guys think. Look forward to hearing your input.

Like most things that have to adhere, the challenge is all in the prep. If you have something terribly oily, dirty, with the slightest bit of silicone, etc... good luck. And a spray on product that isnt adhered is just begging for rust holes, since moisture will trap in those spots.

So its all about how well you can do it.

I would think that a spray on product would level better than a rolled one, but perhaps the rolled ones have more solvent, in order to flatten more...

Well that looks nice.

How would the bed rug hold up without the tonneau cover? I have had rubber mats at 20 years old and still holding up well (no covers installed).

my present truck has a sprayed liner and i really don’t care one way or another about it (it was port or dealer installed). If the truck I bought had not had a sprayed in liner, I would not have added one. I put in one of the thicker rubber mats (Dee Zee brand) and its much better. The bed rug looks nice though, and I assume cleaning it if greasy wouldn’t be too bad either?
Thanks. Honestly not sure. I paid $145 for the bed mat and if it lasts me several years, I would be happy. I purchased it with the understanding that it is probably a consumable item.

The mat is supposedly made from materials that are impervious to water and mildew. It can be pressure washed and is very chemical resistant.

Back