Spotted a unusual Buick today

Older Buicks were more distinct and more interesting. In the '50's and '60s Buick made some stylish cars. Good cars too.

But at some point GM got into "name tag engineering" where a Buick was pretty much the same as the nearly identical Pontiac or Chevrolet or Oldsmobile, it just had a different name tag.

If you want to see what I mean, look up a 1957 Buick Roadmaster or 1963 - 65 Buick Riviera or 1965 Buick Wildcat or 1967 Buick Skylark GS. All favourites.
oh I know. Love those Buicks you mention. I know a few guys who own the Skylark GS and one with a Wildcat. Just about all automakers made fine products you could be proud to own then. Buick/ Pontiac & Olds always used a bit better interior materials. Some had much better suspension than the Chevy line too. kind of like Ford with Lincoln and Mercury lines. I think it all went to (cheaper) in the late 70s and 80s. I was Chevy thru and thru for cars and Ford with my trucks. Then in the 90s the wife suggested we test drive a Honda. We never bought any other car than Hondas since. I did stay with my Chevy Chevelle & Olds collectibles. Plus Ford Broncos and trucks until I retired. Got rid of my last Chevelle in 2019 and truck a few years before. I love the cars America made from the late 50s thru about 1972. Most brands went down like a rock it seemed in 1973. Good note, it seems they have all improved the last 20 years or so. Yet we still got two Hondas sitting side by side in the garage. Got to a point in life we just want to drive cars instead or bring them in for repairs. Especially since I can not work on them anymore.:)

Wish I had gotten some pictures, but I saw a Buick Century Gran Sport that was in amazing shape here in town today. Was as clean as the one in this link:

Not sure I knew these existed before seeing this one..
The fender emblem looks just like the known at that time (Buick Turbo) symbol. Wouldn't doubt it. Buick was big time into turbo - sixes for a good while in the 80s into early 90s.

Back