Spotted a unusual Buick today

GM had a lot of funky products back then; Pontiac 6000 AWD and also a diesel 6000 being just two of them.
Pontiac 6000s were interesting cars.

But GM diesels from the early - mid 1980s were nothing to write home about. Unless you were writing home to say bad things about GM diesels that is. Had 2 friends with them and neither one had anything good to day about that engine.

But GM diesels from the early - mid 1980s were nothing to write home about. Unless you were writing home to say bad things about GM diesels that is. Had 2 friends with them and neither one had anything good to day about that engine.
I think they used a gas v8 block and made it a diesel. On the big Buicks

Those were sweet cars!! I remember first seeing one in 1986 and had to follow it to figure out what it was. They were even rare back then. Cars back then had so much more soul and character compared to today. I bet a GM 3800 in that tiny car was quick!!(y)

When I was in high school I always wanted an Olds Calais or the Buick Reatta - both cool in my eyes at the time.

1647432984159.jpg
1647433005251.jpg

When I was in high school I always wanted an Olds Calais or the Buick Reatta - both cool in my eyes at the time.

View attachment 92878View attachment 92879
Its funny you post that because my grandad had, and I drove both those exact cars when I was in high school... I've never seen another 442 Calais. He still drives the Reatta. Naturally high school me crashed the 442, but it already had a moldy interior and a bad rod knock when I finished it off.

That is what it kind of reminded me of. Certainly one that slipped past me. I have seen many called Gran Sport by Buick even including the big ole Buick Riviera Gran Sport editions... It is different. Buick did a lot to keep GM in the Sport arena when lots were throwing in the towel. I can't get over to this day that Pontiac is gone.

Older Buicks were more distinct and more interesting. In the '50's and '60s Buick made some stylish cars. Good cars too.

But at some point GM got into "name tag engineering" where a Buick was pretty much the same as the nearly identical Pontiac or Chevrolet or Oldsmobile, it just had a different name tag.

If you want to see what I mean, look up a 1957 Buick Roadmaster or 1963 - 65 Buick Riviera or 1965 Buick Wildcat or 1967 Buick Skylark GS. All favourites.

But at some point GM got into "name tag engineering" where a Buick was pretty much the same as the nearly identical Pontiac or Chevrolet or Oldsmobile, it just had a different name tag.
Yes, I had the poor man's version of the OP car, a Chevy Celebrity. Come to think of it, every single car that I have ever owned has been a "poor man's version", LOL. All started with that Chevy Vega, and went down hill ever since.

Yes, I had the poor man's version of the OP car, a Chevy Celebrity. Come to think of it, every single car that I have ever owned has been a "poor man's version", LOL. All started with that Chevy Vega, and went down hill ever since.
That's true for a lot of us. I have the base Tesla Model 3. And when one of my B-I-Ls saw my BMW 528i with the M-sport and interior appearance package he said, "I see you got the smallest engine".

Back