Spline type lug nuts

I recently purchased new rims for my 3/4 ton Chev. They are 17 inch x 8 inch. The stock lug nuts which have a course thread on top and are quite thick would not work and we had to go to spline type lug nuts. No problem there, but the lug nuts came with a special socket with the warning to not use an impact wrench on it. Also, there is a plastic cap that has two screws that use an allen wrench to tighten the screws. I have no problem with a plastic cap, as the stock rims also had a cap, but these screws are pretty delicate and I'm not sure I would trust a shop to put them on without stripping them.

Since the wheel has eight lug nuts torqued to 140 ft lbs, I find it a pain to not use an impact wrench on them. I change the tires to winters in the fall and change back in the spring. Do any of you with spline lug nuts use an impact wrench on splines?

Thanks.

619BEC52-9E46-43AD-A929-FC3DE40CBE30.jpeg

5835F7E0-A371-4B75-A59B-733460920CC1.jpeg

BECEBD7F-8695-482B-96AA-E70B53B55CE6.jpeg

CFB62856-E6D8-434B-B07B-8172AAB38692.jpeg

35C0EC5B-544B-4EAB-82C7-2800DD2F85D9.jpeg

10AE1822-FF21-4E6C-9ABD-E97D3D1A7132.jpeg

AA000C52-DFCA-49A7-B494-06D84FA0745A.jpeg

Last edited:
spline drives are basically a "tuner" thing BUT when needed they are great!!! anytime i buy aftermarket lug nuts or bolts its McGard, worth the xtra cost IMO + their finish LASTS!!!

Yep, wife's '08 F150 came with Level 8 wheels with "tuner" nuts. I actually like the wheels, they're understated and not gaudy. I wondered about an impact because the w.t. of the socket is so little, but I totally use an impact. No problems to date. Also just used it on my buddy's '07 CTD with aftermarket wheels. His situation was like OP's: the c-bores are so small nothing else would make it.

This is the one I've been using and I do see it says to "only use hand tools"

After Big O slapped center caps from a different F150 in a neighboring bay onto my F150 (stock wheels) I ALWAYS remove all center caps before visiting any tire store. As I have 3 full-size trucks my preferred method is to simply pull the wheels and drive them in to a tire store then they never touch my lugnuts or my actual vehicle, and they can't argue about TPMS (scam) requirements if they can't see the vehicle the wheels are mounted on

tire rack provided spline lug nuts in the package when I bought enkei wheels for the Lexus. discount tire did the installation. I watched them torque them by hand. They may have spun them to the first or second ugga by the gun. But that’s really more of a compliment to that tech or franchise - I’ve watched other places over-impact them, then use a torque stick to back them out and then tighten to spec. The Lexus torque spec is pretty low… it’s something around 80 ft./pounds on a 5 lug wheel. I personally like the splined nuts and figure they’ll treat them like “wheel keys.” But like several here, I’ve gotten to the point where I will watch and verify things like this myself, and not simply take it is “good” depending on what I think I’m seeing.

Back