Speed limit increases - Ontario 400 Series Highways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by pandus13

[off-topic]
(...Grampi has had a few anti-semi/trucks threads in the past)
The reason is I-65 through Indiana.
Truckers will do many things: passing each other at .5 mph, driving in all lanes, aggressive driving, tailgatting, etc.
I will either drive late at night or take I-57. Usually much better behaved, very courteous drivers, with some really tired in the mix sometime.

And then you get on I-80/94 and the 55mph "limit" becomes the absolute minimum. If you're in the left lane, your speed better between 80 and 94mph.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
And then you get on I-80/94 and the 55mph "limit" becomes the absolute minimum. If you're in the left lane, your speed better between 80 and 94mph.
If you do the speed limit in the left lane of any 2+ lane road you are an idiot. I commute in the city everyday and the right lane is often the fastest lane, but has the worst road conditions and potholes because of buses. It's the fast lane for beaters.

Originally Posted by StevieC
It's illegal here for Trucks to use the left-lane unless it's a 2 lane road and they are passing, or unless it's for some safety reason. It's like a few pages in on the drivers handbook. I remember reading it when I was going for my class "A" license.

I have heard that the trucks in Canada are limited to 100 kph. Seems so to me. Every time I run in Canada, one truck pulls out to pass another, and it takes forever. I think it would be good if trucks could speed up to 110 kph for 3 km to complete a pass without causing backups in the fast lane. Sort of like IndyCar; let them have 4-5 push-to-passes per day.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
If you do the speed limit in the left lane of any 2+ lane road you are an idiot. I commute in the city everyday and the right lane is often the fastest lane, but has the worst road conditions and potholes because of buses. It's the fast lane for beaters.

I absolutely agree. And I'm surrounded by them. There's one road near me where it splits into 2 lanes for eastbound traffic, with signs every 500ft saying "KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS" and these absolutely oblivious morons will be doing 50 in the left lane.
09.gif

Originally Posted by A_Harman
It's illegal here for Trucks to use the left-lane unless it's a 2 lane road and they are passing, or unless it's for some safety reason. It's like a few pages in on the drivers handbook. I remember reading it when I was going for my class "A" license.

I have heard that the trucks in Canada are limited to 100 kph. Seems so to me. Every time I run in Canada, one truck pulls out to pass another, and it takes forever. I think it would be good if trucks could speed up to 110 kph for 3 km to complete a pass without causing backups in the fast lane. Sort of like IndyCar; let them have 4-5 push-to-passes per day.

A lot of the time the overtaking semi can't go any faster...I think most of them are governed, still, they COULD sit tight in the right lane until an opening from behind is long enough for them to pass without holding up other vehicles in the left lane, but they won't...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by maxdustington

I absolutely agree. And I'm surrounded by them. There's one road near me where it splits into 2 lanes for eastbound traffic, with signs every 500ft saying "KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS" and these absolutely oblivious morons will be doing 50 in the left lane.
09.gif

LLCers should be ticketed whether they're POVs or semis...

Limit on the trucks is 105Km/h. So yeah, it makes them passing each other a ridiculous affair.

On my road trips most semis on the highways are a lot more courteous than a lot of drivers. Most of them just want to do their job, drop off their load, and go home without bothering anybody or being bothered themselves. You're not going to win against a truck with the power to pull 10 vehicles without breaking a sweat anyways so give them courtesy and respect and they'll give it back to you.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Limit on the trucks is 105Km/h. So yeah, it makes them passing each other a ridiculous affair.

Especially when they do it going up an incline which most of our highways in the GTA are up/down in various places.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Especially when they do it going up an incline which most of our highways in the GTA are up/down in various places.

Yup, and they weave in and out, drives me nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back