Road Rage, Then vs Now

I'm considerably more laid-back than I used to be, although I still have no qualms about suckering a tailgater into a tight corner or freeway ramp and watching the idiot try to gather things up. Back in the '80s a lowered 2nd generation Z28 destroyed his oil pan on a couple of frost heaves trying to keep up with my Bavaria 3.0.

Originally Posted by odotb
Be careful what you say on a public forum. It can come back and bite you badly.

ABSOLUTELY! I've seen my screen name on federal court documents before. Is no joke.

This thread just confirms why I don't even make eye contact with people any more while driving, never know who's packin".

When younger I've flipped drivers off and I have been flipped off and have even got verbal a couple times when I ended up at the same location as the person I flipped off but that was back in the 80's when there wasn't so many crazy people running around.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
This thread just confirms why I don't even make eye contact with people any more while driving, never know who's packin".

When younger I've flipped drivers off and I have been flipped off and have even got verbal a couple times when I ended up at the same location as the person I flipped off but that was back in the 80's when there wasn't so many crazy people running around.

Murder was way more prevalent in the 80's though.

The first "road rage" I have encountered fresh for 2021 wasn't really a road rage, and I don't think I have the mental energy to engage situation I know I can handle, have to know when to break it off, similar to MCompact's post #81, have had similar things happen, and never been the guy in the Z28 rather the guy in the 3.0 just watching what the other driver will do. Like, really dude? comes to mind. But just a case of someone in a white Honda (looked like a brand new Civic Si. But. Anyways) ... being a jerk. Which is apparently quite common where I am.. (everywhere??)

So, basically, not that dramatic but still a very *** moment. There are a lot of one-lane roads where I am. Of course, these have double yellows. I probably live/work within 5 miles of the County Jail where I am at so I really prefer not to go testing the waters, rather I adopt a policy of strict adherence to the law. No less than twice, have I been happy I have done so. You usually don't see coppers, but when you do, they have their cruisers angled towards the road, usually a window down, close to the road, running.. basically, absolutely ready to produce the 3rd degree to whoever was violating the law. You have to know what you can do and can't do. They aren't around much, but when they are, if you're violating they will ticket you. So. Anyways. That in mind..

All that to say, I choose to do the speed limit on these one-lane roads.

Now, you wouldn't think that would be THAT big of a deal, particularly for about a mile or so. Well, apparently, we would be wrong..

I'm doing the speed limit, pretty sure it's 40 for that mile, posted. There's literally ohh about a quarter mile until the next light. White Honda is behind me, has to be doing at least 60, it's coming up fast enough that I notice it. Okay, cool. Buddy. It's a one-lane road and I'm literally going to the store at the light..

... NOPE!! I get tailgated for about 5 seconds.. I'm just cruising along, Intimidation Fail.
^^ Double yellow, in case anyone was wondering.

So the Honda revs it up, blows by me, and does about ohh 80 to the light, which of course is red, and he stops at.

Me, of course, I never touched either brakes or gas and I crept up on fool's bumper for about 5 not more than 10 seconds before the light turned green :) Idiot driver.. He then rockets down the road, and I make my left turn to go get my food and return to work.

I tell ya.. It honestly doesn't matter anything, you'll encounter even a Near Rage (similar to a Near Miss) eventually. Doesn't matter what.

Last edited:
Until recently I would drive 5- 10 over on the highway. Sure I would open it up on occasion in lighter traffic but always obeyed limit in residential areas. Highway limits are good enough for me now.
However, morons these days go over by quite a bit in all areas. Some even in school zones.
When someone flips me off I wave at them and say "here's a weeks supply."

Until recently I would drive 5- 10 over on the highway. Sure I would open it up on occasion in lighter traffic but always obeyed limit in residential areas. Highway limits are good enough for me now.
However, morons these days go over by quite a bit in all areas. Some even in school zones.
When someone flips me off I wave at them and say "here's a weeks supply."

There is very little enforcement on the roads, from what I see. Maybe not like that EVERYWHERE but over the course of the last year.. I eventually came to the realization that I probably am seeing less police.

I have no idea why.

HIGH speeds are quite common, I see someone doing 90 every time I drive pretty much.

I myself try to blend with the flow of traffic on a highway. It's when you're all by your lonesome that you get the attention...

Originally Posted by Olas
road rage is not something to practice but something to defend against - its usually better to slow down and let them pass but its also a good idea to keep 'something' in the car just incase they try to force you to stop.

YEE YEE!
[Linked Image]
I have the Club, in case things get physical. bottom half is great as a heavy baton. ;)

Attachments

• 31X9TdKgYrL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg
    31X9TdKgYrL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 0
I have the Club, in case things get physical. bottom half is great as a heavy baton. ;)
I remember The Club phase/craze lol.

It took the car thief "body of people" I used to be around to educate me on just how INeffective pretty much anything you put on a car can be.

For that one, I think it's 11 seconds with a saw-zall to slip it off. Surely it's been done faster than that, but that's the figure I remember.

Remember the one that was an entire metal disc over the wheel, to try to prevent that???

There is very little enforcement on the roads, from what I see. Maybe not like that EVERYWHERE but over the course of the last year.. I eventually came to the realization that I probably am seeing less police.

I have no idea why.

HIGH speeds are quite common, I see someone doing 90 every time I drive pretty much.

I myself try to blend with the flow of traffic on a highway. It's when you're all by your lonesome that you get the attention...
Ha Ha! How can you blend in with that awesome infinity?🤠

I used to let my anger get out of control at times when driving. Now, when I start to get mad I just remind myself it’s not worth potentially getting shot.

I avoid road rage at all costs. My goal from driving is to make it from A to B alive, not to give someone the one fingered salute that I've never nor will ever meet again. Not worth dying over. I've witnessed true road rage between drivers on the road and it's scary. It's normal sometimes for someone to be a bonehead and get your blood boiling, but just move on. That's just life. You never know who just got fired and is on their way home, got served divorce papers, who is having withdrawal from medicine, who got bad news, etc. And plenty of people (at least in these parts) (including me) have at least one loaded gun on them. Not. Worth. It.

I have a CCW, but I don't actually want to kill anyone. I keep pepper spray in my car, for the crazy people.
I hadn't considered pepper spray for those instances. I too, have a CCW- but haven't carried in quite some time.
Really, all I want to do is get from A to B without issue or causing issues for others.
Discovered driving near the speed limit in the right lane in moderate traffic, watching the world pass me by to be the most effective in keeping my blood pressure down. Not the pace I want to drive, mind you, but it seems to do the trick.

In my youth I'll admit I did what the OP stated. But now im older and more level headed and most importantly I have a family. Living in Mexico City where no one follow any type of road or driving skills or manners also showed me its simply not worth it. Too many people a quick to pull a gun and dont think of the consequences of their actions plus Im allergic to bullets in my body. So let them be a holes eventually Karma will bite back.

Back