Specific oil recommendation for foreign cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
just curious, what's so unique about some cars that needs their own "special" oil? for example Ford or VW
shocked2.gif
I don't get it. I'm glad I don't own one because I would have never paid attention or would have missed it when it comes to engine oil except maybe just the grade and if I agree with
grin2.gif

I follow the requirements for trans, diff, brake and power steering ...
maybe changing engine oil so many times and becoming careless!

If I had a Bugatti I may read the owners manual but now even with our newer cars I just flip to the back page and see what grade is recommended and that's all.
Wondering if that's a mistake I should correct in case I buy a VW, Ford or BMW?

Somewhere in that comment is a question.

The owners manual is the first step. Don't just read the back page.

Honestly, I'd think that most vehicles are considerably more tolerant of different types of motor oil that most people would think. I remember looking at the recommendations for my Subaru. While 5W-30, 5W-40, 10W-30, and 10W-40 were the only standard recommendations based on anticipated ambient temperature, there was a long list of acceptable choices for towing or anticipated higher temperatures, including 30, 40, 20W-40, 20W-50, etc. I use Mobil 1 0W-40 myself, but I guess it gives me the warm and fuzzies.

I'd think that a lot of the recommendations out there are more in the range of what's likely to be available in the country of purchase.

I do remember back in the early 90s I had a heck of a time trying to find a quick lube place that had 5W-30. Back then 10W-30, 10W-40, and 20W-50 were found at pretty much any place that changed oil. These days who still would carry 20W-50 other than maybe a case in the back for customers requesting it?

Originally Posted by OilUzer

Yes, it's a mistake, especially if the car is under warranty.

Originally Posted by PPWarrior
Oil is Oil. All you need to follow is what it tells you-- your Porsche wants 5w40, use that.

In this day & age of GDI engines, light diesels, hybrids and turbos - plus more, it's wise to follow your owners manual and obey the industry specs. I am using nothing but Dexos1/Gen2 SN Plus 5w30 in my Hyundai. The oil cap says 5W20, but the manual allows 5/10w30.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

While I agree with you that the proper oil should be used in any engine, there is little likelihood that anybody could show that the used oil in any failed engine didn't comply with the required cert and no, you don't need to provide receipts for warranty coverage in this country.
Still, the price of a complying oil is typically no more than that of an API only oil so there's no reason not to use one that I can see.

Originally Posted by fdcg27

there is little likelihood that anybody could show that the used oil in any failed engine didn't comply with the required cert and no, you don't need to provide receipts for warranty coverage in this country.

We've had this discussion way too many times. I am not about to repeat myself.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Somewhere in that comment is a question.

The owners manual is the first step. Don't just read the back page.

thumbsup2.gif

To be honest with you, if I had for example purchased a little vw now, I would have never thought of checking the "special" oil requirements ... Put in oil and drive. I had 3 VWs in the past mainly in college ...

Since I've joined bitog, I am learning about the "special" requirements!
Do quick lube places follow these requitements?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by y_p_w
Honestly, I'd think that most vehicles are considerably more tolerant of different types of motor oil that most people would think. I remember looking at the recommendations for my Subaru. While 5W-30, 5W-40, 10W-30, and 10W-40 were the only standard recommendations based on anticipated ambient temperature, there was a long list of acceptable choices for towing or anticipated higher temperatures, including 30, 40, 20W-40, 20W-50, etc. I use Mobil 1 0W-40 myself, but I guess it gives me the warm and fuzzies.

I'd think that a lot of the recommendations out there are more in the range of what's likely to be available in the country of purchase.

I do remember back in the early 90s I had a heck of a time trying to find a quick lube place that had 5W-30. Back then 10W-30, 10W-40, and 20W-50 were found at pretty much any place that changed oil. These days who still would carry 20W-50 other than maybe a case in the back for customers requesting it?

Yes and no. I'd say as long as your in the correct HTHS range and with the appropriate sulfates ash level, you're probably good to go with today's synthetics. However, there are many hot, high pressure turbo GDI engines I wouldn't trust any conventional oil to.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46

Yes and no. I'd say as long as your in the correct HTHS range and with the appropriate sulfates ash level, you're probably good to go with today's synthetics. However, there are many hot, high pressure turbo GDI engines I wouldn't trust any conventional oil to.

I'd think they're still more tolerant of almost anything, provided it's changed often enough.

I'd think they're still more tolerant of almost anything, provided it's changed often enough.

I think that's a cute idea but flies in the face of lots of data and billions of dollars in investment in engine and oil technologies.

"Any oil" may show a few decent UOAs but what about over 250k miles? Not to mention UOAs only show a small picture of what's happening inside an engine. Let alone expensive emissions equipment.

Last edited:
THE REAL TRUTH IS THIS -

Even if you don't use "BMW LL-04" rated oil and just run plain PYB 10W-40 all it's like, it will probably still last a long time.

Oil manufacturers have to PAY BIG MONEY to get those various manufacturer's specs on the bottle!!!

Oil is Oil.

Most of the time, yeah.

Oil is Oil. All you need to follow is what it tells you-- your Porsche wants 5w40, use that.

As long as it does not thin out due to heat and it changed before there is too much shearing or oxidation. Yes I agree.

*What about the thicker 5W30 Pennzoil Platinum Euro L HTHS 3.5 and 12 cst rated synthetic DEXOS 2 for diesel and gasoline engines ?
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

In this day & age of GDI engines, light diesels, hybrids and turbos - plus more, it's wise to follow your owners manual and obey the industry specs. I am using nothing but Dexos1/Gen2 SN Plus 5w30 in my Hyundai. The oil cap says 5W20, but the manual allows 5/10w30.

To be honest with you, if I had for example purchased a little vw now, I would have never thought of checking the "special" oil requirements ... Put in oil and drive.
I'm sure you're not the only one. But you can't plead ignorance as an excuse. Modern engines with DI and turbo rely on specific lubricants to keep them running as designed. A lot of manufacturers have their own oil specs these days. It's not just Ford and VW.
And while a manufacturer might not deny warranty just because you did not use the correct oil, they can certainly make your life difficult before they sign off on it.

Do quick lube places follow these requitements?
No idea. I don't trust any quickie lube places to perform an oil and filter change on any of my cars without breaking anything, much less to use the correct oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back