Specific oil recommendation for foreign cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Linctex
THE REAL TRUTH IS THIS -

Even if you don't use "BMW LL-04" rated oil and just run plain PYB 10W-40 all it's like, it will probably still last a long time.

Oil manufacturers have to PAY BIG MONEY to get those various manufacturer's specs on the bottle!!!

Originally Posted by PPWarrior
Oil is Oil.

Most of the time, yeah.

No it won't. BMW LL04 is specific requirement for diesels when they started to get fitted with DPF. Later BMW in Europe moved gas engines to this specification.
Reason for that specific oil is that sulfated ash and phosphorous are detrimental to DPF. LL04 requires lower SAPS and lower NOACK to extend life of DPF.
Oils such as PYB10W40 etc. with God knows what NOACK and SAPS levels would quickly create carbon mass with strength of concrete and that decision to save $5 on 5qt of oil will cost you some $5000. Not to mention that all that can create issues with engine, particularly turbo(s). So add.

Oil manufacturers have to PAY BIG MONEY to get those various manufacturer's specs on the bottle.

No they don't. Fake news that just keeps on being repeated over and over again.

The real reason many do not get the specs is because they can't meet them.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
If I had a Bugatti I may read the owners manual but now even with our newer cars I just flip to the back page and see what grade is recommended and that's all.

Oil is Oil. All you need to follow is what it tells you-- your Porsche wants 5w40, use that.

For most specifications and approvals (especially the European ones) the grade is the last thing you should care about. When a minimum HTHS is specified the grade is irrelevant.

THE REAL TRUTH IS THIS -

Even if you don't use "BMW LL-04" rated oil and just run plain PYB 10W-40 all it's like, it will probably still last a long time.

Oil manufacturers have to PAY BIG MONEY to get those various manufacturer's specs on the bottle!!!

Oil is Oil.

Most of the time, yeah.

How much? I worked on testing of oil that was later approved for VW504.00/507.00 specification. I know how much company paid (I actually posted pdf few years ago on BITOG with receipt). SO please, do tell us, how much they pay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back