Spark plugs for 3.0L V6 Duratec

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 87000 miles on my '03 Ford Escape and want to change the spark plugs. As this is a lot of work on this engine, I want to get good plugs for the next 75000 miles.
I think still the OEM are in there.

Recommendations please.

The factory plug on the 3L Duratec is a "single platinum" type plug. Single platinum, not double platinum. You have many choices since you do not need to choose a plug with a platinum padded ground electrode in this case. As a result, there are many Iridium plugs that you can use as well that are often off-limits to other engines.

Autolite Platinum
Bosch Platinum Plus
NGK Iridium IX
Autolite Iridium XP

Those were the first few that popped into my mind. There are huge rebates available with the Autolite plugs right now BTW.

Why not replace with what you are running now? Owners manuals usually give 2 or 3 spark plug manufactures and models for your engine. Why not pull one plug and write down the information?

Why not OEM - there are better things out there (exception couple manufacturers who use irridium from the start - Scion TC uses NGK Iridium for example)

Running NGK Iridium IX (best) and NGK Platinum G-Power (cheap but good) on my vehicles. I had Bosch Platinum as well, pretty good.

I believe you have a Motorcraft Platinum in there now, that is if you're still running the OEM. Why not continue to run those in your engine?

The factory plugs in the 2.5 duratec were double platinum, something to do with a reverse spark system? Over on the contour forums, they were of the opinion that the OEM Motorcraft ones were Autolites. APP101 or something like that. I can tell you that I changed out the Motorcraft ones with the autolite ones, and they worked like stock. (IE, perfectly).

YMMV

I have never found any plugs better for Fords than the factory plugs. To cut cost on some vehicles a PE of PG plug was used on different cylinders due to coil polarity. I think replacement specs are dual platinums.

Quote:

I have never found any plugs better for Fords than the factory plugs. To cut cost on some vehicles a PE of PG plug was used on different cylinders due to coil polarity. I think replacement specs are dual platinums.

+1 to this and the post about about what is said in the Contour forums.

I've got the 2.3 Duratec in my Ford Fusion. I read on the Fusion message board that someone with the 3.0 V6 Duratec in their 06 Milan took out their plugs and they were in fact the MotorCraft Iridiums which carried the same part number as the NGK Iridiums and were made in Japan. Obviously, these were stamped MC, but his were NGK Iridiums.

Lots of people like to bash Bosch plugs. I have used the single platinums 4 or 5 times in the last 25 years and never had a problem. I have also tried many other brands of plugs and never had a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back