Somewhat Hypothetical Oil Choice

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
Last summer I planned a long road trip but didn't get very far due to fires in Northern California and the Pacific Northwest. I'd like to give it another attempt a bit later this year. I have two oil choices in my stash, such as it is: A Frankenbrew of M1 ESP 0W20 (20%) & 0W-30 (80%) or M1 EP 5W-30. I think it's kind of a wash, but nonetheless, I'm curious what others might think, and if you're feeling expansive, why you made your choice. The car is 2011 Camry 2ARFE engine, 86,000 miles on the clock.

Last edited:
I don’t think either choice will matter much. In my travels I have never considered oil grade. Mountains, ocean, Las Vegas or Phoenix, I just ran what the manual said.

I concentrate on other things like tires, cooling system, etc to make sure it’s all up to snuff before heading out.

Hope you get to go this time around.

I think most will say it doesn't matter but for me since it's summer and you have it I'd go with the 5w-30. But of more importance as noted I'd make sure belts / hoses / tires and everything else is in good order.

Don't fret about it and jeopardize your plans. Get one of these. Guaranteed to have the correct oil already in it;

1648407162652.jpg

Last summer I planned a long road trip but didn't get very far due to fires in Northern California and the Pacific Northwest. I'd like to give it another attempt a bit later this year. I have two oil choices in my stash, such as it is: A Frankenbrew of M1 ESP 0W20 (20%) & 0W-30 (80%) or M1 EP 5W-30. I think it's kind of a wash, but nonetheless, I'm curious what others might think, and if you're feeling expansive, why you made your choice. The car is 2011 Camry 2ARFE engine, 86,000 miles on the clock.
Wash but........I'd run the 5w in warm weather and the 0w in colder weather.

2.9 HTHS (est) vs 3.1 HTHS. Seems to me long drives in the summer would lean toward the 5W-30 EP, not that I think it will really make any significant difference. .

Thanks, I surmised there'd be little if any difference, and since M1 EP is already in the sump, I'll just stick with that.

You could run the mixed Frankenbrew through the Widman calculator to see what it comes out as.

Back