Oil for a new Subaru 3.6r, 1st. change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I've been searching on the sight for a few hours and I'm not really finding the specific information I'm looking for. So here goes.

Just bought a new Outback with the 3.6 engine. Somehow I managed to pile up a shade over 1500 miles in about two weeks, ya we seem to love the car and are always looking for any reason to take a drive anywhere. Anyhow now I'm searching for advice on which motor oil to use for the first change and when would be a good time to switch over to a full synthetic. Which Synthetic? I've always thought that running a regular oil would be better for about 10k before switching, maybe these new engines are different??? I asked at two different Subaru dealers and they just said any 5w-30 oil should be fine. The closest Subaru dealer is to far away to go for oil changes, besides, I think it's done better when I do it. Just Sayin. So fire away with suggestions PLEASE.

I also maintain my daughters 2011 Forester 2.5 non turbo. Whats a good oil for that? It has right around 66k on the clock. I've been using Mobil One 0w-20 Advanced Fuel Economy in that one. Is there a better choice? I'm a big fan of the NAPA Gold filters but do have the Subaru OEM filters on hand as well.

Thanks!
Good Luck and Happy Motoring.

If it takes 0w-20 then anything available out there will be a full syn which means pretty much anything you buy will be more than fine. Mobil 1 AFE is a fine choice but there are many.

Congrats on the Subie. I had an 06 Forester and loved it. My recommendation is to use OEM filters and the correct grade M1.
By using OEM filters, you can immediately eliminate the filter from any oil related warranty claims. Subie will scrutinize EVERYTHING for a major warranty repair.
Crazy Warranty Denials

Last edited:
I also recommend using OEM filters for cars under warranty. Mobil 1 EP or Pennzoil UP (if you can find it) would probably be my choice of oil.

Yep, while in warranty use ONLY what the manual suggests! ANY of the major brands 0W20 Water oil will suit you just fine. When its out of warranty I'd put a robust 5W30 in it if you want it to last.

Hey tommymac,

I've had a 2010 3.6R outback for eight years, 154k miles. Nice car and engine. I'm running a havoline blend 5w30 right now to 5500 miles, good numbers so far.
Don't get spun up about feeding your 3.6r regular dino 5w30, I've almost exclusively run regular fuel/regular dino oil the entire life of the vehicle. No problems.
I would run the factory Toyo Rokio filter, as the bypass valve spec is..."unusual".

UOA 3.6r outback

See if you can talk the Subaru dealer into giving you a "goodwill" free syn oil change since you bought a car from them. I talked the dealer that my mom bought her Forester from into doing it with little difficulty.

We have owned over eights Subarus from the early 90's to present. The Wife is a dedicated fan and Ive had three myself IIRC Including a SVX 6 banger and a Justy 3 banger.

Tried all the top oils in the Forester FB 2.5 and only liked Valvoline 0w20 then QSUD Ow20.

Proceede with caution and prejudice: In North America "Fully Synthetic Oil" is an advertising term ONLY thus most ALL "synthetics" are Blends AT BEST including your Mobil 1 AFE.

Subaru traditionally don't like M1 synthetics and if Fuji Industries could post their white paper on inadequate lubrication of group iii blends they would, but that would open them up to the ire of BIG OIL. An excerpt of the INTERNAL paper (that a Subaru Service manager quoted to me) had a sentence where " ... the lubricant could not resolve small repetitive motions adequately ... ". Any way kids were blowing up their WRX turbo left and right running M1 5w30. a decade ago. Blame the oil? IDK but the stuff ONLY ran well in one application over several trial over the decades.

I don't know what your 3.6 callos for but I would try the QSUD in a 10w30 SUMMER or 5w30 winter and for 20 grade applications use the Valvoline 0w20 ( NOT 5w20) Me? I would amend 2 quarts of that sump with 10w30 Valvoline RACING VR1 Synthetic. Subaru don't like 20 grade oil and they still don't, IMO. I would also NOT use Subaru Idemitsu - thats pretty bad in the 0w20 flavor; though it may be OK in the 5w30 flavor.

These chain engines require a good "synthetic" or a real synthetic to perform well. Not all oils are the same.

Forget Conventional. Just forget it.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
We have owned over eights Subarus from the early 90's to present. The Wife is a dedicated fan and Ive had three myself IIRC Including a SVX 6 banger and a Justy 3 banger.

Tried all the top oils in the Forester FB 2.5 and only liked Valvoline 0w20 then QSUD Ow20.

Proceede with caution and prejudice: In North America "Fully Synthetic Oil" is an advertising term ONLY thus most ALL "synthetics" are Blends AT BEST including your Mobil 1 AFE.

Subaru traditionally don't like M1 synthetics and if Fuji Industries could post their white paper on inadequate lubrication of group iii blends they would, but that would open them up to the ire of BIG OIL. An excerpt of the INTERNAL paper (that a Subaru Service manager quoted to me) had a sentence where " ... the lubricant could not resolve small repetitive motions adequately ... ". Any way kids were blowing up their WRX turbo left and right running M1 5w30. a decade ago. Blame the oil? IDK but the stuff ONLY ran well in one application over several trial over the decades.

I don't know what your 3.6 callos for but I would try the QSUD in a 10w30 SUMMER or 5w30 winter and for 20 grade applications use the Valvoline 0w20 ( NOT 5w20) Me? I would amend 2 quarts of that sump with 10w30 Valvoline RACING VR1 Synthetic. Subaru don't like 20 grade oil and they still don't, IMO. I would also NOT use Subaru Idemitsu - thats pretty bad in the 0w20 flavor; though it may be OK in the 5w30 flavor.

These chain engines require a good "synthetic" or a real synthetic to perform well. Not all oils are the same.

Forget Conventional. Just forget it.

If Subaru engines don't like Mobil 1 synthetics, then, why does Subaru in Canada recommend using Mobil 1 in their vehicles?

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Charger, the 3.6 does NOT require the 23-24psi bypass valve that the EJ25s do. Wix specs a 51334 for the 3.6, which is 8-11psi, and 57712 for the 2.5, which is 23psi. If you want to use Tokyo Roki that's fine, but Wix makes an engine-correct filter for either application.

Wix 57712 - 2.5

Wix 51334 - 3.6R

Good info.

OP, Do not listen to the Knuckle Heads that say 0w-20 or 5w-20. They are talking out their butts.

2018 Subaru Outback 3.6
Your vehicle is designed to use 5W-30
conventional motor oil, however 5W-30
synthetic may be used for optimum
engine performance.
*: If 5W-30 synthetic oil is not available,
10W-30 or 10W-40 conventional oil
may be used if you need to add oil.
However, you should change to 5W-30
synthetic or conventional oil at the next
oil change.

So many of the commenters here don't realize the Subaru 3.6L calls for 5w-30, unlike the 2.5L that calls for 0w-20. If the 3.6 calls for the same 6,000 mile change interval as the 2.5, I'd just wait until 6K and then start using the synthetic 5w-30 of your choice. Personally I like SOPUS products when they're on sale.

The flat six is a pretty mature design.
What does the OM say?
The flat six called for a first drain at 3K at one time.
Does it still?
What drain intervals does Subaru recommend for this engine?
Still the 7.5K they used to recommend for the flat fours?
Either way, you won't go wrong using any name brand syn 5W-30.
Synthetic oil will also in no way interfere with engine break-in.
This is an old wives' tale.

chart.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back