Someone didn't plan correctly

400 watts at 120 volts is only 3.3 amps. I don’t see how this is possible.

A job site diesel generator in the bed would have been more believable.

Fixed that.

View attachment 98851

No normal EV can be driven while in the charging mode. Typically you switch the car off before starting charging because the charger may not initiate a session if it sees the EV is "on". Once charging starts you can't put it in back in Run mode but you can use all the facilities like AC.
I realize that. So no one was believing the Tesla towing a plugged in generator, good.
It would take the entire day to charge it enough to move.
Two hours would give .8 kw or 2-4 miles. Not including the small loses through the charger. If a Tesla can charge at 3.3 amps on 120v.

I realize that. So no one was believing the Tesla towing a plugged in generator, good.

Two hours would give .8 kw or 2-4 miles. Not including the small loses through the charger. If a Tesla can charge at 3.3 amps on 120v.
I didn't realize they would let you drive on that low of a charge. I figured it would have to charge longer top get more capacity before it allowed you to drive. Looks like it takes about 3 days to pully charge on a standard 15A outlet?

I didn't realize they would let you drive on that low of a charge. I figured it would have to charge longer top get more capacity before it allowed you to drive. Looks like it takes about 3 days to pully charge on a standard 15A outlet?
The car works the same as on full charge. Just like a gas car with a gallon in the tank. I don’t know how the Tesla end of charge works, people have shown screens I guess. A kwh should get you down the road a bit, maybe to the nearest gas station. :D

I've got a lot of fishing buddies who are ye-haw truck dudes. Literally not one of them has driven out of state in at least 10 years, they always fly. Heck if they even drive more than 100miles ever.

The most common complaint about EV is how they hate the idea of recharging on all those cross-country trips they imagine they take every year. LOL

The most common complaint about EV is how they hate the idea of recharging on all those cross-country trips they imagine they take every year. LOL
We are starting to see waiting lines to charge at Tesla chargers located near interstates. Also complaints of slow charging as the number of chargers in use does affect the charge rate. There will need to be a whole bunch more supercharger stations, AND a bunch more power.

The megacharger for trucks is in the million watt range. There are still small power plants that could in theory only charge 80 or so trucks at one time. It is good to remember that it takes about 2HP to make 1000 watts (1KW) . Even a full sized coal power plant (500mw available to charge) could only charge 500 trucks at a time, without ever powering a city. Consider that these trucking warehouses are 100+ bay facilities and are scheduled to be charging locations!

This is an internet pic, not "my car".

1942790d1575576421-see-cng-like-long-queues-wait-time-teslas-supercharger-network-20191201_151812.jpg

Back