Your Christmas Plans

Fighting crime and guarding the peace as I've done for the past 31out of 40 Christmases. We usually do our celebration and dinner at home on Christmas Eve or a couple days after depending on when my shift falls. Everyone thats working is bringing food and we plan to go out and deliver that, along with a few toys we've brought in, to those in the community that will have none.

Whatever the plans, everyone have a Merry Christmas!

Since the passing of my mom last month, not feeling the holidays at all
My wife and I are the same way. Most all our family members are long gone. We don't have kids, so Christmas is just another holiday. When we were both working it was nice, because it meant a nice chunk of time off that we both enjoyed.

Now that we're both retired, it doesn't mean much because we've "been off" for years. While we're not "saddened" by the Christmas holidays, we're in the larger percentile that doesn't feel anything "special" about them. Except for the feeling they're highly overrated.

"Key findings. The holiday blues are just around the corner. This holiday season, 61% of Americans think they'll experience feelings of loneliness or sadness — an increase from 55% in 2021. Additionally, 67% expect to feel anxious or stressed during the season."

I usually take the week after Christmas off, but this year I get to take the week before off too. Been wonderful--I still do too much email but it's been nice to decompress a bit.

We'll have Christmas morning at home, then travel. Done that for years, Christmas morning at home, travel to the inlaws for second Christmas. Couple days there, then home again. Nothing special (and if I could get out of traveling I would, I'd just as soon stay home--but have to keep up appearances). Luckily my parents are still alive; unluckily it's a very long day of driving to visit so we haven't made that circuit for a long time.

For the first time ever I am hosting Christmas dinner at my house, and super excited to be doing it.
There will be 19 of us total, including my dog, who is family, and get a full plate of Christmas food the same as mine.

What do you have planned this year?
Heading to mom and stepdads and brother and sister in laws Saturday morning. Out in Carlisle area. Watch Steelers lose their season Saturday, have a bone in smoked ham and fixings. Christmas Day, build fire in fireplace and play some pool. Even try this “diamond splitting wedge” out on some Osage Orange and locust firewood 😛😛

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8810.jpeg
    IMG_8810.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 4
I usually take the week after Christmas off, but this year I get to take the week before off too. Been wonderful--I still do too much email but it's been nice to decompress a bit.

We'll have Christmas morning at home, then travel. Done that for years, Christmas morning at home, travel to the inlaws for second Christmas. Couple days there, then home again. Nothing special (and if I could get out of traveling I would, I'd just as soon stay home--but have to keep up appearances). Luckily my parents are still alive; unluckily it's a very long day of driving to visit so we haven't made that circuit for a long time.
Look at the bright side, that much closer to the next oil change ;).

I love Christmas time. I’ll be spending time with my family. We get up open presents, mom makes her French toast as a Christmas tradition. Then we head to grandmas house usually but my aunt asked to do it at her place this year (we usually alternate year to year)for a family gathering where we do presents and eat and celebrate with the family. Then some years we go to my sisters as well just depends. This year probably just doing two. Sister usually comes over to our place to do gifts with her kids but they do theirs at their house too before coming. If I can get my parents out of bed in time we will go drive around and hang out at the gas station after breakfast and presents before having to be at aunts at 1pm. My work provides a ham every year for Christmas so we are going to make that in the evening time for dinner. It’s a very delicious Smithfield ham. My dad thinks he needs turkey too. I don’t care for turkey except on Thanksgiving so the turkey is a pass for me lol.

One of my favorite Christmas things to do since I became an uncle is I love seeing the smile on my niece and nephews faces when they open their gifts. It’s just lots of good memories. I always take lots of pictures of all three of them and my mom takes pictures of everyone. They always want to dig into their new toys and play with me too which I love. Family time is something I won’t miss I love making memories with my family but especially my niece and nephews.

Unfortunately this year I couldn’t get off the day after as we had too many people off and I took off the day after Thanksgiving so my boss is giving me the Friday before New Year’s off which is fine but I’d rather have off after Christmas since we have to move our Christmas for dads side of the family till that day. Personally if I had it my way we’d be off the full two weeks like we used to be in school lol.

And let’s not forget the most important rule in my family no music allowed except Christmas music during Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. We jam out at the gatherings lol 😂.

I've lost my dad and my grandparents years ago. I miss them every day.

The holidays are a time to enjoy with family and friends. So those of you who still have your family, I hope you have the time to be together because it hurts bad when you no longer have them around you.

Christmas Eve being Sunday, we will start at church. Later we will be at our house with the entire immediate family: us 2 grandparents, our 3 children and their spouses, and 6 grandchildren. We will have a meal traditional for us: a soup made of potatoes and peas, pierogies, ham. Afterward we will exchange gifts and the young ones will open theirs.

Christmas morning we will go to church, then have breakfast at our youngest son's house. Afterward we are invited to our daughters house for dinner and our son in law is cooking prime rib.

Just found out I'm getting the whole week of Christmas off! Hopefully there will be some fishing happening. Maybe going after some Dolly Varden trout? I'll have to ask my fishing fool of a brother if he'll play guide. Not sure if there is too much snow to reach his "secret" fishing spots yet.

Heading to mom and stepdads and brother and sister in laws Saturday morning. Out in Carlisle area. Watch Steelers lose their season Saturday, have a bone in smoked ham and fixings. Christmas Day, build fire in fireplace and play some pool. Even try this “diamond splitting wedge” out on some Osage Orange and locust firewood 😛😛

Good luck with that wedge. My buddy had one designed the same called “the wood grenade” we called it “the nail”. Different species of wood and even different dampness to the wood make it split differently so maybe it will work great for you.

Last edited:
Back