Some thoughts/questions about VW 502 Spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just for conversation. I am not an expert, just thinking and wondering about a few things.

My vehicle specs VW 502. I use M1 0w40, as I feel it's a fantastic choice and pretty easy to find.

From what I know and have read, VW is not the hardest spec to meet. In a lot of cases, non 502 oils that are a3/b3 rated or HDEO show as good or better results. The biggest thing is the hths of 3.5 or higher. T6, TDT are good examples of non 502 oils that show good UOAs, even in the VW engines that are tough on oil.

So, my question is this. Wouldn't a blend like T5 work well also? HTHS should be greater than 3.5 based on some of the specs it meets, it should have a nice add pack since it's an HDEO, and it's got a nice TBN. If one were to change it at say, 7.5k of normal driving, wouldn't it seem to work well?

Cast aside any warranty talk. I'm just creating some conversation here. I guess I am especially interested since I know my 2.5L is pretty easy on oil with a 6.3 quart sump.

Interested in thoughts.

Depend on how you drive your Jetta, if normal daily drive is more than 10-15 miles trips and mostly easy highway speed of 70-75 MPH, then any oil with HTHS of 3.5 or higher will be good for 7-8k miles OCI. VW 502 Spec is good for aggressive drivers and etxended OCI.

You're using M1 0W40, which is on many "High Performance" lists, is a good choice, unless you like to go thinner !

502.00 isn't a difficult spec, nor do I think the 2.5 is hard on oil (or any of the other 502.00 spec'd engines). I would run any quality 5w40 or 0w40 without worry. Have a think about Rotella T6 as well.

Thanks..just wanted to see what some thoughts were. I've got a little stash of M1 0w40, but we'll see where I go from there. I know the M1 HM oils might work well also. Just wonder how many VW owners get it changed at JL, and while they might use synthetic, I bet it's just 5w30 or something. I have to believe most of those cars will run just fine for a long time....
smile.gif

502 and 505 is an "old" spec but still calls for ACEA A3/B3 which is higher performance oils.

Just find an oil with HTHS 3.5+ and somewhere in the neighborhood of heavy 30/light 40 and you'll do fine. I think the Germans tend to be a bit overly cautious with oil recommendations.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
502.00 isn't a difficult spec, nor do I think the 2.5 is hard on oil (or any of the other 502.00 spec'd engines). I would run any quality 5w40 or 0w40 without worry. Have a think about Rotella T6 as well.

Didn't the 1.8 and 2.0L turbos prove a bit "tough" on oils?

Originally Posted By: ammolab
Didn't the 1.8 and 2.0L turbos prove a bit "tough" on oils?

Sure, but the OP's 2.5 is not turbocharged nor direct injected.

Yep, the 2.5 should really be easy on oil, plus it's sump is over 6 quarts. If I didn't have to worry about warranty, I might be willing to risk it and try some PU 5w30. I bet it would do just fine.

However, for meeting the HTHS, I think T6 or M1HM 10w30/40 would produce some nice UOAs. Out of warranty, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back