Some good olive oil info

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, Australia is far from being third-world. Just not a fully developed economy.

What with ocean levels due to rise I'd expect Commonwealth partners (whatever that is now called) such as Canada, Australia/New Zealand to become experts in areas of mutual interest (maritime) due to the enormous changes we will see. Britain will finally change course. Japan will have to make a choice. America will lag.

Resource extraction experts, security (ASW), rescue (SAR), etc are what I have in mind . . a la the Swiss and their long mercenary history as but one example. The US will be unable to singly guarantee all sea lanes.

The Arctic and Antarctica are within this brief, commercially/militarily.

(I'm guessing right and left, but trying to look a few decades ahead in my reading these days; for example, I don't know how the Argentinians or Chileans would fit with a Southern Hemisphere prognostication).

Olive oil? Some half-decent reflections come over cooking or the occasional gardening.

[ July 05, 2006, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: TheTanSedan ]

Sprintman,

I'm not sure what kind of screw cap, rotgut stuff Pablo drinks?
wink.gif
, but I've found the top end Aussie wines to be excellent. In particular the Chardonnays and Shiraz(sic) are outstanding AND less expensive than comparable CA offerings.

I will give WA state the edge in Pinots.
smile.gif

Ted

China will soon become the de facto driver of the Australian economy as chief economic partner, with India slowly coming on.

Australia has a tightrope to walk. An aging population, trade imbalances, enormous commodities market exposure, etc.

Think of other natural resource rich, small population countries and what do you see?

Ted starting to wonder about Pablo. I'll get you some good Pinot names to try. NZ Pinot from Otago area or Hawkes Bay very good. U.S has some great wines. I bought Opus One many years back, expensive but Good. I particularly like aged Robert Mondavi Fume Blanc but havn't seen any for a while. Oh and don't drink Fosters.

Don't really like WA wines either, but they have improved in the last 5-10 years. California wines are truly world class and I'm glad to see sprintman acknowledge that.

I'm sure Australia is improving in the food department. They had nowhere to go but up. I guess I refuse to spend any money on their import food products because I have been burned one too many times. I'm willing to try some wines (again) and olive oil in the near future, because I do have an open mind. I think I will continue to avoid the (un)"fresh" stuff. Of course I would love to go to Australia - eat lots of good chow and meet the boys (and shannow
smile.gif
just kidding) downunder.

Mostly however I was NOT questioning the tastebuds of anyone. What someone likes is what they like, I don't really give a rat.

What I am challenging is the constant cheer from sprintman. Imagine if every other thread was from a guy from Chile or Kenya or Switzerland or Thailand or USA - saying our country is great, "we export....everywhere...", we have "better cleanliness/expertise etc." This same person also insults a certain other country in a very racist, nationalistic way. Should I not challenge this? Am I that wrong?

You can't help it if you live backwoods of Washingtown and I live in the capital.. Australia is clean and green. And that's why the produce we have is wanted (more by American's than anybody) than anywhere else on Earth. Get on a plane, visit Oz, and you will understand. But no you are stuck in backwardstown. And as for phucking Krauts America only made one mistake in WW II they nuked the wrong country. Soooo glad they just got wacked in the World Diving Championships. Chees..s

It has gotten a bit ridiculous lately. That kind of talk wouldn't be allowed if it was directed against other groups of people ( with the apparent exception of Muslims) so why is it tolerated?

Holy crap, steve, have you got sand in your vagina or what?
Seattle is backwoods?
You live in the capital of Australia, so what?
As for hating Germans, you should really get past it. It's only hurting yourself, they certainly don't care.

No thanks don't need that level of polution. I live in clean green land and don't want/need/understand your Nukluar problems. And tell me where yOu live is not backwoods? Fraid it is my friend. I live in the capital of my country and reap the benefit it brings. Imagine there's an embassy of every country in the world here in this little city and they want to be able to eat out at the food of their country, and buy their produce. Culinary wonderland. Not going to get that in Woshington backwards are you? That's why my American friends from the Embassy don't want to 'go home', as the American Ambassasor didn't. Geez he admited at the National Press Club speech here in town before he left that his wife cried all day for 14 days when told they had to 'move on'. His speech is on the web.

Repeat after me:

Australis is great.
Australia is perfect.
Australis is great.
Australia is perfect.
Australis is great.
Australia is perfect.
Australis is great.
Australia is perfect.

Heil Australia.
Australia uber alles.

The bell rings dully ironic.

I've always been a proponent of: "I don't know what's good, but I know what I like." That takes care of the wine business.

Obviously, I've missed the great contributions the land of Oz has made by putting men on the moon, ending the second world war with the Japanese, gererously accepting people from around the world to save their lives with advanced medical techniques, procedures and surgeries. Giving the world the most advanced new presciption drugs at a small fraction above their costs, while one's own population pays dearly to advance new treatments, drugs and technologies in medicine.

In addition, when there is a country under siege by its neighbor, Oz is always asked to step in first and cure this wrong.

Yes, I missed all this about OZ, I'll have to catch up.

I'm pretty sure that most of sprintman's fellow countrymen are ashamed of how the things he says reflect on their country and on this forum.

sprintman's constant boasting by saying "Australia has the best, is the best, makes the best, this, that and the other" is annoying enough, but his racist comments really do show him up for what he is. He's exactly that what he accuses others to be, simply based on their nationality. I pity sprintman for being a hatful, little man, a windbag with not even the most basic manners.

Good boy Pablo you got it at last. GM you surprise me. Australia fought in the Pacific alongside you guys. As for medical we pioneer many things. Who do you think invented the artificial heart, medical X-rays, Microsurgery, IVF, life saving application of Penicillin, Bionic Ear, Aspro, Electronic pacemaker, Spray-on-skin, artificial heart, dicovered the bacterium which causes stomach ulsers and Gastritis, and the latest a vaccine for cancer. Be nice and we'll let you have some. You know your problem I only deal with factual data. My nickname at work is Mr. Data. Get used to it.

Not a Star Trek fan, I assume.
BTW must we continue to engage in this "ours is bigger and better than yours" junk?
You sound like some kind of American or something. And not the good kind....

Posted by sprintman:

quote:

America only made one mistake in WW II they nuked the wrong country.

Germany surrendered in May of 1945,
the Americans were still fighting the Japanese until we dropped the bombs in August.

Good thing the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor and brought the Americans into the war,
otherwise, Autralia would be rice fields, with Toyota and Honda plants making great Japanese cars...
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back