Solar power is getting cheaper every year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
You really cannot comment on final cost until after the development and implementation of the system. Initial cost are always high.

I can say with a high degree of confidence that within the next many years, solar cells are not going to be a cheaper way of shingling a roof than asphalt shingles (without subsidies of one and/or tax penalties on the other). It's ridiculous that he'd even suggest that. If that were the case, I'd just use the solar cells to shingle my roof, without worrying about plugging them into anything. If they're just as waterproof as asphalt shingles, and cheaper to buy and install, I don't even need the solar power household infrastructure, since they're just a superior roofing product, right?

Originally Posted By: Garak
You really cannot comment on final cost until after the development and implementation of the system. Initial cost are always high.

I can say with a high degree of confidence that within the next many years, solar cells are not going to be a cheaper way of shingling a roof than asphalt shingles (without subsidies of one and/or tax penalties on the other). It's ridiculous that he'd even suggest that. If that were the case, I'd just use the solar cells to shingle my roof, without worrying about plugging them into anything. If they're just as waterproof as asphalt shingles, and cheaper to buy and install, I don't even need the solar power household infrastructure, since they're just a superior roofing product, right?
Yes I think that is what Musk said, the electricity is a bonus.

The Ontario government stated that the Green Energy program would result in carbon-free power generation in the province with the retirement of coal, and have absolutely no effect on electricity rates. I think most of us are aware as to how that turned out.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
The Ontario government stated that the Green Energy program would result in carbon-free power generation in the province with the retirement of coal, and have absolutely no effect on electricity rates. I think most of us are aware as to how that turned out.
Isn't the electricity produced from solar and wind required to be used and bought at inflated prices? No free open wholesale market where the source makes no difference?

Some people pay 10-13 cents per KWH for electric, that is crazy.

Been down in Texas for 5 years now, never paid over 6 cents.

Current contract is for 4.9 cents, with $25 monthly bill credit for using under 1000kwh in a month.

We usually use under 1000kwh so get the credit most months.

Now that the AC is almost off, I am looking forward to that $35-$40 monthly electric bill.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Isn't the electricity produced from solar and wind required to be used and bought at inflated prices? No free open wholesale market where the source makes no difference?

Correct, it is subsidized out the wazoo. Solar's average wholesale rate for 2016 was $0.42/KWh, wind was significantly less at $0.125, but still subsidized. Hydro electric is paid $0.048 and Bruce Nuclear $0.066.

Here's Musk's explanation of why cheaper.

Quote:
Musk said the key to this surprise announcement is that the roofing materials supply chain as it exists today is incredibly inefficient. He said the glass solar roof tiles Tesla will sell are up to 80% lighter in weight than ceramic or concrete roofing materials. They are also much less fragile. The result is that transportation and breakage costs are greatly reduced, which is a big factor in keeping costs down. The other factor, as Musk said during the Solar Roof reveal last month, is that glass is mostly sand and sand is cheap.

The Solar Roof comes in four styles — Tuscan, Slate, Textured, and Smooth. Musk suggested that sales and installations will begin during the summer of 2017, starting with the most popular style first. After that, the other styles will become available at the rate of one additional style every three months.

In response to a question from the audience, Musk said that not all the roof tiles will have high efficiency solar cells embedded in them because some parts of every roof may not be suitable for producing electricity, but he emphasized that all the tiles would look the same once installed. People looking up will not be able to identify which tiles have solar cells in them and which do not.
http://www.teslarati.com/tesla-solar-roof-cost-less-than-traditional/

the trouble with solar panels is, during a blackout you won't get electric from them no matter how well the sun shines on them. Unless ofcourse you have the foresight to provide their inverters with another AC source like a small generator

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Some people pay 10-13 cents per KWH for electric, that is crazy.

Been down in Texas for 5 years now, never paid over 6 cents.

Current contract is for 4.9 cents, with $25 monthly bill credit for using under 1000kwh in a month.

We usually use under 1000kwh so get the credit most months.

Now that the AC is almost off, I am looking forward to that $35-$40 monthly electric bill.

Right here the bill starts at around 16c/kwh and if you are above the tier 1 usage it will go up to around 20c/kwh.
So for the well off residence with a lot of electricity usage, it make sense to get solar to keep them from hitting the higher tier.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
the trouble with solar panels is, during a blackout you won't get electric from them no matter how well the sun shines on them. Unless ofcourse you have the foresight to provide their inverters with another AC source like a small generator

How often do you expect to get a black out and how long do you plan to stay dark? If you get a lot of storm that hit you for a couple weeks at a time, chances are you would either buy a battery backup like the power wall if you want solar, or have a diesel generator instead.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic

Your point being? If that contingency is important to you, it is easy to build capability for various degrees of "off grid" operation during grid failure, of course it would take more equipment.

And like PandaBear points out, during rain or snow storms, solar availability is low. You would want a different energy source anyway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
No, all you need is the batteries; look up PowerWall.

15 year payback with 10 year battery warranty is the Australian experience of the powerwall.

ASSUMING you've stacked your roof with solar panels already, $15k, $20k+ otherwise.

Funny how everything else is moving away from having stuff in your house and to the "cloud", while this is being pushed in exactly the reverse....by a guy who wants the Govt to pay everyone a minimum wage to keep buying his stuff.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Eventually, solar will take over; the only question is "Will it happen in one decade or two".

I agree...however, that's when it gets expensive, and the peak/off peak curves are reversed.

Round trip costs for Li are 20-25c/KWh, even if charging them is free.

So for every 1,000MW (nameplate) of thermal, you need to install 3,000-4,000MW of solar (to harvest the same energy per 24 hour period), and store it for overnight.

It will be nearly free (actually, market forces will be giving it away) during the day, and expensive as all get out at night. Have run this scenario past a few market analysts who agree.

Oz model has "intermediate" fast ramp generation via biomass, as does the UK...wonder where on Earth they are going to get the acreage for all the biomass PLUS 3-4 times thermal nameplate rating of solar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back