So you bought a high mileage auto.....

The used FJ prices are crazy. ......

You are correct. I found several with 150k-200k in good shape in the $15,000 to $18,000 range. This one I purchased is in fantastic shape and has 218k and I got it for $11,900. There are a lot of FJ's with well over 300k and some with 400k miles still running great.

Well, the dealership answered the question for me.

I have the service record that my "new to me" FJ had Valvoline dino in the 5w30 variety poured in with a Napa Gold oil filter right before I took delivery and the dip-stick shows clean oil. I will run this for 1,500 miles, which will carry the rig to 220k and then I will start 5k OCI's with my oil of choice.

I just finished draining the differentials and transfer case and pouring back in... SuperTech Synthetic 75/90. What drained out was incredibly nasty, but it may have just been the moly with the gear oil. Nice that there was nearly ZERO metal deposits on the magnet. I will use this stuff as the "flush" and at 220k, pour in some Mobil 1 or Amsoil for the next 30k miles.

I did take her out for a quick test of the 4x4 system on some BLM land and in Low, she climbs like a mountain goat.

Love my new rig!

9XOlG0E.jpg

If you just dropped some of your hard earned coin on a spectacular vehicle with about 200k on the dial.... What would be the first oil you poured in her?

Would you opt for a SUPER HIGH Detergent, super "cleaner" oil to run for a couple thousand miles to muck out the nasty? If so, what would that oil be?

Or, would you just settle into an oil that was spectacular for every day use on an engine that 200k on her?

I'd probably use the cheapest oil in my stash, with a new filter and @1,000 miles before I planned on changing the oil drop in 1/2 quart of MMO or Rislone,
27.gif
then change the oil when due.

I am still very, very, very unsure what I will pour in my FJ. I suppose I am WAY over-thinking it, as there are probably a dozen choices that will be just fine.

I still like the idea that I can get Rotella T6 5w40 just about everywhere if I need a top off... or even an oil change in mid-expedition.

Yeah... that is probably my "huckleberry"!

Just run some oil in it, if it was taken care of, I don't see why you need to flush it or use any special additives just put some oil in it and drive it, enjoy it, etc. If you find it's seeping some oil, switch to a HM oil.

Just run some oil in it, if it was taken care of, I don't see why you need to flush it or use any special additives just put some oil in it and drive it, enjoy it, etc. If you find it's seeping some oil, switch to a HM oil.

That's what I am doing now. The dealer did an oil change of Valvoline 5w30 conventional and a NAPA Gold oil filter.

Walked into Wally World today and was swept away with a new oil offering from SuperTech. I choose it..... (I wonder what the VOA's are on this oil?)

I also opted for Castrol Tranny Fluid.

P1XKxEE.jpg

2gTaugv.jpg

I bought an 07 Saturn Ion (that's going to my grandson this summer) with 135,000 miles and I put in Costco Kirkland Dexos spec in the engine and Valvoline Maxlife atf.

... I also opted for Castrol Tranny Fluid. ...

Sure seems like a one-size-fits-many fluid. All I see on the spec sheet are a lot of "claims" and "suitable for use" statements.

Good luck.

Sure seems like a one-size-fits-many fluid. All I see on the spec sheet are a lot of "claims" and "suitable for use" statements.

Good luck.
I think it's a little od that it says it's suitable for LV specs like DEX VI and Mercon LV but is a high viscosity fluid.

Back