So you bought a high mileage auto.....

If you just dropped some of your hard earned coin on a spectacular vehicle with about 200k on the dial.... What would be the first oil you poured in her?

Would you opt for a SUPER HIGH Detergent, super "cleaner" oil to run for a couple thousand miles to muck out the nasty? If so, what would that oil be?

Or, would you just settle into an oil that was spectacular for every day use on an engine that 200k on her?

If you just dropped some of your hard earned coin on a spectacular vehicle with about 200k on the dial.... What would be the first oil you poured in her?

Would you opt for a SUPER HIGH Detergent, super "cleaner" oil to run for a couple thousand miles to muck out the nasty? If so, what would that oil be?

Or, would you just settle into an oil that was spectacular for every day use on an engine that 200k on her?

What are our options for super high detergent super cleaner oils?

Normally I'd say a good dyno, but you can get Supertech Full Synth High Mileage for less than any other major brand's dyno, so that's what I'd do, in the weight specified by the manufacturer. I'd pair it with a Supertech filter, run it for 1000 mi, drain, then fill with the same, but with a Fram XG filter and call it a year.

I'd also consider a UOA on the unknown oil, the 1000 mi oil, and the oil after that. Just to get a better idea of what I'm dealing with.

Some good dino juice like PYB or PHM.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. A dino that has super high detergent. Run it for 1k-2k miles and then dump for what I will choose for the future.

But... what dino has super high detergent? What will clean out the top end?

i dont run watery oils aka xxw20s in newer vehicles + surely not in older looser ones. not sure but colder weather but 15-40 diesel for sure in warmer times, prolly 10-40 in Pa heat

Depends-how dirty is it? I’ve had several vehicles at or over 200K that were pretty darn clean inside! My vote would be PYB, MaxLife Red (synthetic blend), or Chevron Supreme-the higher the moly, the better!

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but did you buy this vehicle or this just a hypothetical question? I know a thing or two about such vehicles.

Back