So you bought a high mileage auto.....

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but did you buy this vehicle or this just a hypothetical question? I know a thing or two about such vehicles.
Bought it.... Picking it up on Thursday.

TMzLL4B.png

First of all, very nice find. Chances are, if it was well cared for aesthetically, it was well cared for mechanically...hopefully anyway. Any service records? Put in any good synthetic that meets requirements and do the next oil change on schedule. Enjoy.

PS: i love finding well cared for high mileage vehicles at a great price.

We got an '06 Ridgeline for the high schoolers to drive, with 209k on the clock. It is in its second of three doses of ST Syn with cheap filter for 3,000 miles. After that it will get what the rest of our vehicles get.

Bought it.... Picking it up on Thursday.

TMzLL4B.png

The used FJ prices are crazy. That’s a beautiful looking FJ. 😍 I think you’ll be fine to run a Full synthetic or High mileage synthetic/Dino oil that meets the specs. I don’t think the 4.0 V6 would mind whatever you choose to do. I‘ve used Pennzoil HM 5W30 Dino and Mobil 1 HM 5W30 on my Pathfinder with the 4.0 V6 with 179k. Do what you think is best op. 😀

Last edited:
If I bought a car with 200K on the clock, I'd buy an inexpensive synthetic like Kirkland or Supertech, a good $5.00 - $10.00 filter (probably a Wix), and, as is often said here, I'd sleep well.

Bought one exactly like it one year ago with 287,000 miles showing. I use same oil the prior owner used, Valvoline Advnced Synthetic 5W-30. I have since outfitted it for off-road use and now do this type of thing with it:

FJ on Diamondback at MK20.png

This is fairly well the completed version:

Build front left.JPG

They are tough trucks.

Last edited:
I would run some HDEO in a 15w40 with 20% MMO. I have done this in every used car I have purchased in the past 10 years. Preferably when it's a warmer time of the year.

I'd do a change with whatever spec/viscosity it calls for from whatever brand and run some Liquimoly Engine Flush before for a thorough drain. I'd grab a sample of what was in there before running the flush.

Back