So w/ the new analysis of gold GC, how do you guys know the base is ester/PAO still

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how this affects anyone's opinion but the GC is BMW LL-01 approved. If you look at the BMW LL specs you will find that LL-01 and 04 require the base oil be "Chemical synthetic oil" which to my understanding is Group IV or V. For comparision the BMW LL-98 spec does not spec a base oil. The BMW Labeled Castrol 5w-30 which we know to be a group III oil is only LL-98 approved. Here is a link to the Motul spec for the BMW oils, you have to click on the BMW tab.

http://www.motul.co.jp/eg/fact_sheets/maker_approval.html

Isn't GC Gold just the latest formulation of Castrol SLX sold in Germany? SLX is labeled "synthetic oil" in Germany, and in the EU, Group III doesn't qualify as "synthetic."

Exactly... Therefore Castrol 5w30 is a Group III and Castrol 0w30 is group IV.

I still think it is just as good as green... How many UOAs do we need to say the same thing???
tongue.gif

I don't want to criticize those that are having misgivings but please keep in mind the point of the chemistry change was extending oil changes plus (no doubt) some technological/formulation improvements based on the continual research that these guys all do. Unless you have misgivings about all the extended change Euro Oils (e.g MB 229.5) there is no need to doubt The Gold.

how do you GC loyals account for the drop in VI with the gold? isn't VI a function of the base oil formulation? or were there additives in green GC that boosted its VI?

Isn't a high Mg preferred in gasoline engines and Ca in Diesel engines. Perhaps their aiming at the Diesel market. I may have this backwards as I can't find my reference to the above. Read it someplace a few months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back