So this is the reason I went with Redline 0w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MrWideTires

No it does not do just as well.

The conventional oil does "alright" in those temperatures, but nowhere near redline's 0w30.

^^well said...it's cold as h ell here in MI bellow 0 you couldn't pay me to use conventional!

My forecast for the next week here:

Tonight: -11F
Monday: High 6F
Tuesday: High 6/Low -12
Wednesday: High 12/Low 3 with light snow
Thursday: High 6/Low 2 with blowing snow, and temperatures falling below zero after dark
Friday: High 3/Low -10
Saturday: High 4/Low -13
Sunday: High 8/Low -8

Forgot to add that the current fills are Mobil 1 0w30 AFE in a 2008 Cobalt, and Q-HP 5w30 in a 2007 Malibu.

Pop_Rivit,

You might want to pour 16 oz of 15W40 Rotella T in a 32 oz measuring cup and leave it outside, overnight in -22F. Then try to convince anyone that an oil pump can pump it to a camshaft, then properly lubricate that camshaft.

Last edited:
Those temps are not the only reason to use a 0W-30 IMO.
If your car calls for a 30 weight you can (or might as well or should) use it year round without any problems.

49.gif

FWIW My truck started up great this morning at 15* with it's first run of 0w30.

It was Very noticeably smoother and quieter than the maxlife 5w30 that just came out.
just my.
49.gif

Yeah its been like that here as well. I have a delivery coming of Brad Penn 0w30, until then its the oil heater I borrowed off my other car.

Originally Posted By: pwr2tow
Just for those who don't know, Windchill doesn't play into inanimate objects such as metal, just skin. Wind only cools objects down faster but does not decrease actual temperatures on inanimate objects.

RIGHT YOU ARE!! (MANY people do not understand this fact.)

BTW, all of you in the Sioux Falls area; I would have thought that the actual record lows for any given mid winter date would be MUCH lower (like -50*F or so)??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back