Block Heater?

Your rig doesn’t have 15w40 and 4 gallons sump of oil….it’s 0w20 cold in a pan, even with the block heater. The block heater will never warm the oil. The startup wear is exactly the same.

Here's a figure from a study on cold oil flow during engine cranking. This is with a 10W-40 oil at -25 C, and the results should be similar to using a 0W oil at -35 C. It shows that using a block heater for only 1 hour greatly reduces the time required for oil pressure to build up in the top end of the engine during cranking. Typically block heaters are used for around 4 hours, which would have roughly double the heating effect compared to this test.

Cold oil cranking - Block Heater.jpg

On a modern engine with an oil-coolant heat exchanger, block heaters will increase oil temperature by a lot more, and the benefits of using a block heater should be even greater. 4-5 hours of block heating time increases oil temperature by 18-20 C on my car.

What is "occasional"? And -20 to -40°F is a pretty big difference. Any late model car in good condition should be able to start at -20 without assistance. Does it get to -40 only once or twice a year? I think I would stay home if it was that cold.
I spent a winter in western north Dakota I mean eastern Montana and -40 is normal temperature in the winter 🥶 and I would use a block heater without Question.

If you clean any oil off the bottom of the oil pan, these will stick on just fine. Certainly it’s much cheaper than pulling a freeze plug to install a plug type block heater. If parked outside overnight, I plug in at -5 F.

ECE39584-848B-4E8F-A9F6-D405305521DD.png

When I was living in Superior WI my truck had a block heater. Plug it in at night when I got home and unplugged before I left for work. Nice warm engine and cab when I left for work at -25F. Wouldn't live there without one.

1. He can tell how much charge the battery has from the gauge on the dash.
2. OP says his commute is 0.8 miles. If he gets stuck he can walk home.
ROFL in a snowstorm?

Seriously?

You ever been in -10f with 25mph winds and snow out in the open?

By your comments i really doubt it.

Here's a figure from a study on cold oil flow during engine cranking. This is with a 10W-40 oil at -25 C, and the results should be similar to using a 0W oil at -35 C. It shows that using a block heater for only 1 hour greatly reduces the time required for oil pressure to build up in the top end of the engine during cranking. Typically block heaters are used for around 4 hours, which would have roughly double the heating effect compared to this test.

View attachment 181776

On a modern engine with an oil-coolant heat exchanger, block heaters will increase oil temperature by a lot more, and the benefits of using a block heater should be even greater. 4-5 hours of block heating time increases oil temperature by 18-20 C on my car.
Never once said it wasn’t beneficial…said it wasn’t worth the expense or effort for the tiny commute with the balance considered…especially when 1/2 the starts aren’t going to be connected to a wall outlet.

Sounds like a warm day...

We rode our sleds at -32C last winter for a charity. Air is pretty fresh!!!
Yeah not a big deal, I go ice fishing all the time in colder.

Big whoop.

When you’re going to work are you always going in your full sled gear, I know I’m not going in my ice fishing gear…(assuming an office or manufacturing job)

driving a electric car with a known short limit on capacity in a Montana winter is like leaving on a trip through a blizzard with no emergency supplies, and 1/8 of a tank of fuel total. Totally irresponsible.

@tojo7089, I live in a comparable climate, and highly recommend installing a block heater.

Per my Scangauge, a block heater will typically raise the coolant temperature from -30°C up to +23°C in about 3 hours.

I've checked fuel consumption both ways (with and without plugging in) - fuel consumption is much higher when the coolant is not preheated, particularly on short trips like yours. I bet you'd make up the cost in fuel savings the first winter.

Check out a pulled-down engine from a cold climate - you'll see more wear the farther you get from the block heater. I imagine there's less wear on the battery, charging system, and starter too.

Getting the warm air onto the windshield and into the passenger compartment sooner is really nice.

A year ago I installed a block heater in an old 3.2 l Acura TL (an American car brought into Canada). The owner was very pleased with the difference.

Newer Hyundais have a place to insert a heater. Here's one of the heaters. Easy peasy.

lg_a2192e64-004c-4634-87f3-1b41cb5b8b42.jpg
Toyota has a similar one I put in my Scion tc. I have a turn on three hours before I go to work and I usually have water temperature of 70° when I start the engine.

Just bought a used 2021 Hyundai Venue SE with about 27,XXX miles on it. It has a synthetic blend that the dealer put in prior to sale. (Unsure of what brand.) I plan on changing that out to M1 AFE 0-20 within the next month. I also plan on installing a remote start within the next month or two also. I have a very short commute to work. About 0.8 miles and 3 minutes. (I don't walk due to health reasons, and also the cold Montana winters.) Then the couple times a month, 100 mile round trip to "the big city."
Around here winter temps are generally in the low single digits to teens at night, with the occasional -20 to -40 F.
My question is, what are your feelings towards also installing a block heater? Is it worth the expense? I'm thinking 1) so I don't have to idle as long, and 2) when I'm at work and not able to plug in. Also, less wear on the starter, and battery.
Your commute profile is ideal for a quality syn oil and regular interval. Yes the trips are very short. But the long ones balance it out. Pull a UOA to validate. My mother did this use profile for years in her Plymouth breeze no issues, and the car lasted tk over 200k when she decided she wanted a new one.

Back