So some guy attempts to bash in my window...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more people, the more nuts.
tongue.gif

Good idea, AJ. You still ride around with those milk jugs filled with gasoline on your backseat? Maybe you could light up one and toss it at him.
wink.gif

Crystal-meth maybe? Some of the brazen crimes in our area (it's infrequent) I'm sure folks are whacked on some kind of dope.

quote:

You still ride around with those milk jugs filled with gasoline on your backseat? Maybe you could light up one and toss it at him.

lol.gif

That is some crazy **** though! Sounds like a combination of mental instability, mistaken identity, and a lot of amphetamines, maybe? Glad it ended up being nothing more than a strange story for you.

Oz is going to the dogs anyway. Our town has gangs of thugs (5 to 10 at a time) who delight in sending individuals unconscious or into a coma.

Standard MO is for the leader to approach you, and ask for a smoke. Usual answer is "I don't smoke", then you awake in hospital.

Walking home one night, a guy stepped in front of me and asked for a smoke. At that point, 4 or 5 others surrounded me, and I though...(you know).

Then he said "Is that an Iron Maiden T shirt ?...Guys, this guy has an Iron Maiden T shirt, and they're the best band in the world." Turned to me and said "have a great night".

I was stunned at how these people work, and what drives them to beat people, or how little will stop them.

Unfortunately, this plaza is under "constant video surveilance", yet these clowns have never been caught

I think many places on earth are getting a bit crowded......

When I was in China - I always assumed there were video cameras. EVERYWHERE. Low crime against foreigners. Crime growing, though.

The problem in my hick town? Essentially zero public violence (probably many domestic violence cases) - but we have like 2.5 cops. Total. Where are my tax dollars going?

This thread is the very reason why many states now have concealed carry laws. Cops are only good after something like this happens. Blow a few of the attackers away and its amazing how the problem goes away. Bernie Goetz proved this in NY. After he shot the punks that tried to attack him, the next six months crime on subways was down about 60%. Then went back up after no more shootings. Whatever you think of Bernie, he did prove that armed citizens are the answer.

Dan

It depends on the question, whether armed citizens are "the" answer! If gun usage is widespread, then OK - I can see the point. But murder rates are several times higher per capita in the USA than other, not too different, countries. Whats the rate of homicide in states with concealed carry laws compared with those with more restrictive regimes?

Homicide is always worse is big cities in the USA - way worse. DC and NYC have the most restrictive gun laws and the highest murder rates...well I'm not sure where NYC is right now, but DC is (almost) worse than Columbia, and I don't mean Columbia, DC.....

The FBI Uniform Crime Rate reports are a fun place to start; http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/ucr.htm . The homicide rate varies a lot by region, where New England and the northern midwest tend to have low rates compared to the rest of the country, some cities excluded, especially poster child cities like Detroit. It is interesting to compare cities in the US close to the border with cities in Canada. Rural areas usually have lower homicide rates, but some of the rural south has higher rates than some cities. The homicide rate in the south has traditionally been higher than in other parts of the country, to the point that at one time 'southerness' was actually a term used to describe it. Trying to correlate with gun ownership surveys that have been conducted over the years one doesn't see any correlation with rifle or shotgun ownership, but handgun ownership seems to exhibit some correlation. Handguns vs knives is an interesting comparison as almost all hosuehold have several knives, something around 40% to 50% of housholds have firearms, but knives have always accounted for a small percentage of homicides compared to firearms.

Not Per capita. Just total. I couldn't find DC in the FBI numbers.

I'd guess a high percentage of the LA murders were gang-bangers killing each other.

Meth is bad stuff. The guy in this first paragraph of the Minneapolis Star and Tribune newspaper of today was on meth and marijuana:

"GILLETTE, Wyo. — A man pursued by police in northeastern Wyoming said he thought he had been driving around Minnesota."

The guy's from Belle Plaine, Minnesota, which is in southern Minnesota

Although DC is near the top, and has been at the top several times, I don't think it is DC this year. Baltimore had a lot more murders than DC in 2005. Not sure about the population difference. I don't think it was either DC or Balto for 2005 because I would have heard about it.

I found an article that said it was Philly in 2004.

(If I understand correctly, handguns have been illegal in DC since sometime in the seventies except for those guns that were grandfathered in. MD has very tough gun laws as well.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back