So much for engine breakin...............

Status
Not open for further replies.
at least on your new AMG E55. Page 59 of the new C&D describes how they assemble the engine, give it a brief warmup, and take it right up to the peak HP of 494 at 5750 rpm. (Mobil one of course) It is speed limited at only 155 but the lucky Germans can get this removed. And at only around $75K it almost sounds like a deal!

Patman,

You seen how they burn in the new Corvette's? Those engines are never fired before they fire them up on the line, about 100 ft from then end. The engine plant only turns them over but not fired till they are in the car.

I often think about the new owner babying the engine for the first few miles, little does ne know they had that bay at 75mph on a dyno for about 5 minute +/- doing emmission testing and brake certification.

I have seen the way they treat new Corvettes, and I cringed!
grin.gif
I took the Corvette plant tour twice (in 97 and 98) and saw what they do to each car at the end of the assembly line. Each car is run hard on that dyno up to 70-75mph and then they slam on the brakes HARD to check the ABS, etc. All of this on a cold engine too. Yikes.

If you saw the way I drove my 98 Formula the day I picked it up, you'd understand that I'm not super concerned with engine break in techniques though. With only 50 miles on the clock, I was racing a Mustang on the highway and had it up to about 140 mph. During that race I saw 6200rpm in 4th gear, then shifted to 5th and still kept my foot into it up until about 135-140. Then later that night when I was taking friends out for rides, I repeated a similar cycle at a slower speed (running up to redline in 3rd gear that is)

It didn't seem to hurt that car as I never had any oil burning or piston slap problems like those that plague many LS1 owners.

When I was in school I had an internship at Ford that put me in the Rouge facility late one night. I got out of my car and I heard LOTS of tire squealing, over and over and over again. ***? Being a gearhead and an intern, I decided that I could be a couple minutes late to find out what the deal was....

The guys loading new Mustang GT's on the transporters were having a _blast_.
tongue.gif

The article does not tell what weight of Mobil 1 is being used, it only refers to the assembler dipping the pistons in it before putting them in the block. If I had to bet I would go with 0W40 though.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Do you know what viscosity Mobil 1 they run? Probably 0w40?

Yes, 0w40 Mobil 1 is the factory fill for every AMG Benz.

I'm breaking in the E-250's 5.4L V8 for my dad (so far logged about 100+ miles) and rather than babying it, all I've been doing is taking it up to about 5000+ RPM in 1st gear, letting it slam into 2nd gear, then stopping, doing it all over again on the highway.
smile.gif

I've also tried out the Traction-Lok a few times
wink.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif

Hey, the manual said to vary Engine RPM for the first 1000 miles. That's what I'm doing.
smile.gif

5000 RPM, 100 RPM, 5000 RPM, etc...
wink.gif

I was just in town the is am and as I went by the Chevy dealer I see them unloading some trucks and SUV's. So I parked and watched for a while to see if they were going to unload a nice Carbon Metallic D/A HD that was on the truck. It about 10 F this am, wiinter storm warning are up. All the vehicles are just covered in snow and salt from the trip from Janesville North, the driver climbs up on the ramps in these grubby old coveralls, squeezes into the cab of these new trucks, starts em up and with 3 seconds he backing it down off the truck. Unloaded 4 trucks, a Trailblazer and Tracker. I wnet into the dealer inquiring about the D/A and they told me all were sold, customer orders.

A friend of mine did pre-delivery inspections (PDI's) on all of the new fords at his dealership. I always made him call me when they got a new shipment of Mustang GTs in.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back