snow thrower oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I get a call from the pops and he's frantic. He says the snow thrower was sputtering at the end of the job as thought it was running out of gas. Checks gas, all if good. Checks oil, nothing on the stick!

The unit is 3 years old and has the factory oil that came with it. So I rush up there with some PC 0w30. Get there, pull it out of the garage, check the oil it's full. Weird. I say "did you panic and add a bunch of oil?" he says no. Again, weird.

Well it's due for a change, so I get started despite the fact that it's -10 celsius out. Cold engine, pull the plug and out comes the oil... eventually... like honey in a thinned stream blowing all around with the wind. What oil does B&S ship their winter engines with? It looked like SAE30 the way it was coming out, it took 5-7 minutes for the pint to drain out!! Brutal. I thought, maybe that's why it looked dry before, the oil all stuck to the block walls and internal parts, and didn't register on the dipstick check shortly after shutting it off.

Anyway, refill with the 0w30, button it all up, plug em in and crank it. Starts great, runs great. Alright! Give it a whirl on some leftover snow, runs fine no problem. Pops was surprised that it wasn't chuggling anymore.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.
smile.gif
What do you guys run in your snow throwers?

When I had one - a synthetic 5W30. Would have run a 0W30, but options were limited in my small Vermont town...

Originally Posted By: jrustles

The unit is 3 years old and has the factory oil that came with it.

wow...

Normally outdoor power equipment is shipped dry, without oil.
The selling dealer or store fills the oil and gas, puts on the handle bars ect.
Depending on where he bought it, may have been filled with whatever oil they had on hand.

You need to help him out just like you did. Good for you and congrats. Remind him it needs to be changed more often than every 3 years. And synthetic is a great choice for the cold temps. You will have him throwing snow with that machine for many years now. Good going

I assume that engine is splash lubrication, so there are not a lot of places for the oil to run back from once engine is shut off.

How are his eyes? Could he have not read the dipstick correctly?

I would not necessarily connect the engine running poorly with low oil.

I run Amsoil 4-Stroke small engine oil in all my OPE.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy

The unit is 3 years old and has the factory oil that came with it.

wow...

Yea wow. I hope the engine survived w/o damage.

What do you guys run in your snow throwers?

5w-30 full synthetic. The first oil change in the manual was required after 5 hours of running the snowblower. I made sure I did that. Does pops check the oil in his car?

Regards, JC.

G-oil TC in the 2 stroke OPE

Everything else usually gets 5w30syn- whatever I have around.

I run Amsoil 0w-30 Signature Series in my 6 YO 10HP Toro. Starts & runs great!

Originally Posted By: Donald
How are his eyes? Could he have not read the dipstick correctly?

The funny thing is, he had a cornea transplant not two weeks ago
lol.gif

Well good thing the unit doesn't have too many hours on it, maybe 12. Didn't see any sparklies either, but seriously it came out so thick that it literally built up in the pan like soot loaded honey, so a layer was pretty thick to see through.

Anyway, it's interesting to see what you're all using; GC? Sweet.

Originally Posted By: dave123
New 13HP Briggs Arctic Blue 0w30
10 year old 8.5HP Snow king Amsoil HDD 5w30

How's that Briggs 0w30? Never seen it before did it come with the unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back