Snow thrower counterweight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got out the 10 year old Craftsman snow thrower today for the 3-4" dusting we got. Started on one pull as usual, use only e-free gas and run it dry every Spring. Life was much easier today than last November's snow, and not just because it was less inches of snow.

November I couldn't get enough air in the tubeless tires to get them un-flat. Finally I gave up and ran it with flat tires. About 5 years ago I put an aftermarket (non-Craftsman) snow cab on it, a great investment in personal comfort. However that threw the weight balance off, and I never got around to putting a counterbalance weight on the front. The result was, with the flat tires throwing the weight balance even more off, I had to pull up on the handles with about 30 pounds of force to keep the bucket on the ground. I had to push and pull to get it to move at all. When I was done my 100-some foot driveway, my arms were exhausted.

After that ordeal I decided to resolve the issues. The next day I pulled the wheels off and had a local tire shop put tubes in. Last week I mounted an 8 lb weight on the front of the bucket with SS 1/4" bolts and fender washers. The result? Really, really easy going. While it takes a little more umph to lift the bucket to clear obstacles, once pivoted it rests at a more comfortable balance point that doesn't have me reaching down, and stooping to avoid the top of the cab. While throwing snow, I had to stop myself from my old habit of lifting the handles several times, the bucket stayed on the ground without any help.

So, what I learned, stop putting off necessary mods. Next up, have to find myself some conveyor belt.

weight_123255401.jpg

Originally Posted by xxch4osxx
What is that pickle fork looking thing in font of the blower chute?

That came with it, it's to clear the chute or the augers when they clog up. In other words, use that and not your hands!

Originally Posted by HangFire

That came with it, it's to clear the chute or the augers when they clog up. In other words, use that and not your hands!

Ah ok, always wondered what they were! I have seen them on many newer snowblowers.

its so you still have arm(s) after snowblowing

Originally Posted by Rand

its so you still have arm(s) after snowblowing

My old Toro doesn't have one and I still have all my arms
wink.gif

My wife's 90 year old grampa showed me a trick to air up flat tubeless tires on a garden tractor. He wrapped a rope around the tire along the middle of the tread along the circumference and tightened it by twisting a screwdriver with the tied rope around it. He put the air hose on it and it aired right up. Saskatchewan Farmer.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Hey - my Craftsman snowblower is 10 years old too! I've never had to put air in the tires, but she's a garage queen that only comes out when it snows. I bought a carb rebuild kit because I had a leaky Nikki carb, but the needle/seat were slightly different and didn't fit.

So, I bought a complete carb from Amazon for $28 and it's running great again...

Also had to find a new machine screw for the exhaust heat shield. I was surprised to note that it was metric - an M5 x 0.8, I believe...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
My wife's 90 year old grampa showed me a trick to air up flat tubeless tires on a garden tractor. He wrapped a rope around the tire along the middle of the tread along the circumference and tightened it by twisting a screwdriver with the tied rope around it. He put the air hose on it and it aired right up. Saskatchewan Farmer.
smile.gif

Tried that trick last November.

Even when jacked up, the tire beads sit down in the middle of the rim and not up on the edge. When forced down with rope, they go even more towards the middle. I can get a little air in then they burp while climbing the sides and it's all over. Had the rope twisted up and the tire looking almost like a pretzel. No joy.
Originally Posted by OldSparks
Hey - my Craftsman snowblower is 10 years old too! I've never had to put air in the tires, but she's a garage queen that only comes out when it snows. I bought a carb rebuild kit because I had a leaky Nikki carb, but the needle/seat were slightly different and didn't fit.

So, I bought a complete carb from Amazon for $28 and it's running great again...

Also had to find a new machine screw for the exhaust heat shield. I was surprised to note that it was metric - an M5 x 0.8, I believe...

Thanks, it seems we are on parallel tracks. That makes me remember, I also had to replace the carb on the Snow King 9HP. I think I got mine from Amazon as well, what was it, 6-7 years ago? I recall the new carb was so little extra over the rebuild kit that I didn't see the point of doing a rebuild. Glad I avoided that mess.

Mine may be more like 12 years old. Got it cheap in late Spring as a return at Sears. It never ran very smooth until I replaced the carb. Mine too enjoys the indoors all year round. Come to think of it, the tire inflation issues have just been the last few years. Previous to that I would just air it up and go. Now I don't have to air it up at all.

Before the new carb I really appreciated the electric start. Now I never use it. One pull if gassed up, 2-3 if it's just fueled up for the first run of the winter. I run it dry every spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back