B&S Kool Bore Snow Engine consumes oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using a B&S 305cc Kool Bore snow engine on my Simplicity snow thrower now for three seasons. Before each use I check the oil. I run Mobile 1 5W30 synthetic in it. I've noticed that if I use the machine for an hour or two of average work, the next day when I check the oil, it's down on the dipstick by about 1/8". Every time. I initially thought it was break-in oil consumption but now the engine has 35+ hours on it. So, that's not an excuse.

Over the years, I've operated two ten h.p. Tecumseh L head engines on Craftsman snow throwers. The oil level never varied from day to day use. I used conventional 10W30 in those machines.

Is it just the nature of the aluminum bore engine to consume more oil or could it possibly be the synthetic oil itself?

you said ...I've been using a B&S 305cc Kool Bore snow engine on my Simplicity snow thrower now for three seasons. Before each use I check the oil. I run Mobile 1 5W30 synthetic in it. I've noticed that if I use the machine for an hour or two of average work, the next day when I check the oil, it's down on the dipstick by about 1/8". Every time. I initially thought it was break-in oil consumption but now the engine has 35+ hours on it. So, that's not an excuse.. Then added ...Over the years, I've operated two ten h.p. Tecumseh L head engines on Craftsman snow throwers. The oil level never varied from day to day use. I used conventional 10W30 in those machines.
Try 10w-30 and see what happens. Or the Amsoil straight 30 10w30 .

FWIW....Last summer I had a 3/4 full bottle of M1 5w-30 that I put in a 2 year old 5hp Briggs lawn mower. On start up it became a great mosquito killer..smoked like a freight train (it wasn't over filled). So I went back to straight 30 weight. No smoking and very little burn off since.

I think our craftsman mower manual had warned of increased oil consumption using multigrades such as 5w-30. I've run straight30 with very little consumption. I recently started using 10w-30 and it also gave no problems.

I don't follow the oil blends as closely as I did years ago ... but is Mobil 1 still formulated a bit on the thin side in each grade? Assuming that's the case, I would expect that has a lot to do with the consumption you are seeing.

Obviously, switching to a different oil (different brand 5W-30 or a 10W-30, 5W-40, etc ...) might improve the situation.

Also, using a top oil will likely reduce consumption ... a 2-cycle oil at around 200:1, MMO, Lucas UCL, etc ... I used to use one of these at least every other tankful when I ran Dad's OPE ... including 2 snowblowers. I would run this stuff EVERY tankful for the first 10-12 hours during break-in.

I'm bothered by engines that consume even modest amounts of oil. It is not really a problem ... just an anal-retentive thing, I suspect.

I have this engine on a 2009 John Deere thrower. I changed the factory oil to M-1 5W-30 High Mileage at about 3 hours on the engine. The factory oil had a lot of glitter in it. I have about 20 hours now with no usage. High Mileage is formulated a little thicker with more ZDDP. These engines start at full throttle and that dictates the need for thinner oil-5W so the slinger can sling when temperatures hover around zero F. You may try the high mileage to see if it helps...and there may be some break in still taking place??? I keep expecting it to suddenly use some, but I will be changing it out shortly as the season is ending.

I'm certain the engine is fine. There is no visible smoke coming from the exhaust and power is great. I suspect that the oil might be vaporizing a bit and being fed out of the crank case vent into the air intake.

Next oil change, I'll try the high mileage formula. I doubt that there is much break in going on with over 35 hours on the engine.

boraticus, you may know that I'm a stickler for 'proper' break-in ... even on OPE engines. Following my break-in regimen of modest runs, frequent initial oil changes and use of top-oil, I have never had an engine consume oil between changes.

However, I have never had one of these engines, either.

Is this machine stored outside or in an unheated garage? I'd be concerned about going too thick ... but even a 10W-30 synthetic is probably fine at very low temps.

If it is in a space that does not go below freezing, I'd skip the synthetics and use a mineral oil ... probably 10W-30 or 10W-40 and change it once or twice per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back