snowblower burning oil

I have a snow king Tecumseh with a slightly worn Ex valve guide. The engine runs good and has plenty of power. The muffler get red when I run it on fast. I can only see this when it is dark out. I have been using 5w-30 full synthetic. I do not want to get into a repair the engine correctly discussion right now. I am just looking for thoughts on my question. Thanks.

It burns oil but in my experience all Snow Kings burn some oil. If I go to a high mileage or a higher viscosity would it be at all beneficial.? Thinking a syn
HM 5w-30 or if not available a 5w-40 syn. Any thoughts?

I would guess that this machine doesn't really see a lot of hours? I also have a snow king, and I smell like 2 stroke when I'm done with the driveway. Been this way for 20 years, doesn't get any better or worse over time. Just make sure it's full before you start it, I'm sure it will last a long life.

^^Good idea

Look at the manual to see what the Idle & fast RPM specifications are then put them on the richer side of that via the carburetor. You'll need a tachometer to see the RPM but they can be had really cheap for the ones that simply have a wire that wraps around the spark plug wire. Cold engines need more fuel.

Many of the newer Tecumseh Snow Kings (after the 1970s) have fixed jet non-adjustable carburetors. I've run 5w40, 10w40, and 15w40 diesel oil in worn out snowblowers with no issues.
After trying to get my brothers Troy built lawnmower Tecumseh running I swore them off. Couldn't even find a manual for it anymore for the intake/exhaust clearance specs. You bring up a good point there are other engines too that have done this for emission's compliance & of course to prevent us with tampering with those emissions LOL. But back in the 70's maybe it was more about fuel preservation due to the oil crisis of the era. :unsure:

After trying to get my brothers Troy built lawnmower Tecumseh running I swore them off. Couldn't even find a manual for it anymore for the intake/exhaust clearance specs. You bring up a good point there are other engines too that have done this for emission's compliance & of course to prevent us with tampering with those emissions LOL. But back in the 70's maybe it was more about fuel preservation due to the oil crisis of the era. :unsure:
For small engines it was 100% about emissions, many of them run very lean.

Honestly even if valve guides are $30 for an old Tecumseh it just isn't worth it. I rarely work on Tecumsehs anymore, most of the machines that have them are 40 years old now, and swapping on a 6.5hp Predator that starts easier and has more power is a better option for most people. If the valve guides are worn, you can bet the piston rings are worn, rod journal is worn, etc.

I also have a Tecumseh Sno King that was exhibiting the red muffler glow. I found (via tiny tach) that the engine was over revving. Governor adjustment brought rpm’s back to normal. Glow disappeared. 0W-40 for me also.
Over rev is typically from a lean mixture. Often it's crud in the carb that doesn't allow proper fuel flow.

For small engines it was 100% about emissions, many of them run very lean.

Honestly even if valve guides are $30 for an old Tecumseh it just isn't worth it. I rarely work on Tecumsehs anymore, most of the machines that have them are 40 years old now, and swapping on a 6.5hp Predator that starts easier and has more power is a better option for most people. If the valve guides are worn, you can bet the piston rings are worn, rod journal is worn, etc.

Worked on lots of 70s-90s engines that people wanted fixed vs putting a $300 Honda clone.
(predictor not a thing here, just Power Easay)

I had a 8 HP Tecumseh MTD snowblower for 16 years before gifting it to the neighbor. That was eight or nine years ago, and it still runs fine. I worked that machine had in some major snowstorms, clearing my cul de sac and another 100 yards to the through street that the township would plow early. I don't recall it using a lot of oil.

Now getting back to your original question, a higher viscosity oil might be of some benefit if the machine is stored in a warm place where it can easily be started with said oil. If you are like me, the snowblower lives in the garage up against a warm wall. I could probably run 15w-40 in mine without issues.

Back