Snow Blowers-Deere v. Ariens v. Toro- Which One?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Where do you get the Kids Krazy Karpet at? I'd like to put that on my Arien's."

I bought mine at Canadian Tire. That's not much help to you but if you shop around any store that sells winter sporting goods, you should find one or a similar product with a different name. It may also be called a "Slippery Slider". If you're lucky, you might even find a red one. I've seen them in black, blue and red.

It's a bit of a job to fit it into the chute and will take a bit of imagination and elbow grease. Cutting the shape and forming it to fit was the most difficult part. I made a template out of thin cardboard to get the shape. I used sheet metal sheers to cut it. I used a piece of 2x4, some clamps and a butane torch to heat and mold the plastic to fit inside the chute.

I've been using it for three years and it's held up impressively.

Originally Posted By: typ901
Try 3-6k CAD
http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/index.php?group=G

Per that site, the MSRP on this particular one is $2999.

2011_SB_YT624E_l.jpg

Joel

Not the same machine pictured.

The one in the pic looks like it's a YS-1390AR. The machine for $2999.00 is a YT1232ED. Not quite in the same class.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Not the same machine pictured.

The one in the pic looks like it's a YS-1390AR. The machine for $2999.00 is a YT1232ED. Not quite in the same class.

I realized that. Just sayin' they've got a few models. I actually like that YS1390AR better than the other monstrosity. That 3K price tag doesn't include all the fine print either. The least expensive model is 3x out of my league.

Joel

JTK,
Did you glue it in place? and if so what did you use? It looks like it is Polypropaline plastic, and glue doesn't stick to that stuff.

Originally Posted By: motorcity
JTK,
Did you glue it in place? and if so what did you use? It looks like it is Polypropaline plastic, and glue doesn't stick to that stuff.

That was borat's mod. The whole chute is plastic on mine. This is my ~11yr/old beast. She's not all that purdy anymore.
blush.gif

016.jpg

Joel

Originally Posted By: motorcity
Oops, I meant Boraticus

Not glued in. I used existing holes to secure it. Two vacant holes at the front on each side at the bottom and I used the bolt up near the top that controls the deflector. It holds it in there very well. If you don't have the same holes, just drill and rivet as required.

I am confused now...the Yamaha site is for Canada and it lists the MSRP on the bottom of the page. Why would I look at a Japanese site? The MSRP on the YT1232ED is $ 5349. The 3-6K I posted was price range listed for small to big on the Yamaha-Canada site.

"Try 3-6k CAD"

Not for that one.

I checked the Japanese site and the model closely resembling the one pictured was 911400 Japanes yen which converts to $11209.82 CAD. That's the cost for it in Japan. Now add shipping costs and whatever tariffs/importation charges that might be assessed, the local dealer "gouge factor", then add our wonderful HST at 13% and the price will getting closer to the $15K mark.

Here's a link but it's in Japanese:

http://www.yamaha-motor.jp/snowthrower/lineup/index.html

Originally Posted By: typ901
I thought that was the 1232...1390 then?

Yes, it appears to be a YS1390AR. Big bucks!!!

I don't have a lot of experience with Ariens snow blowers, but in general parts availability sucks for their products. I work for a fairly large company (nationwide) that repairs equipment like this. I hate when I have to hunt down parts for Ariens products. I am hoping that we don't get any smashed up Ariens snow blowers from Asheville because I'm going to have a [censored] of a time getting parts for them.

Personally, I'd go with a Toro. The quality is probably the same or better than the Ariens, and if it does break, you will definitely be able to get parts for it.

I'm not a big Ariens fan nor a Toro fan. However, in defence of Ariens, that''s the first I've heard of parts availability issues.

The biggest problem with Ariens is their propensity to re-invent the snow thrower every time they start up the production line. They tend to make slight changes or modifications to models and give them a new name/designation/series number which in turn leads to confusion simply by weight of numbers.

Serial number identification is the sure fire way to get the right part for the right machine.

That is true. Toro is excellent in regards to parts availability. I had to replace the gear selector cable/lever assembly on my Mom's 25+ yr/old Toro push mower last summer. My closest Toro dealer had the part in stock. AFAIK, this particular 3psd self-propelled unit went out of production many years ago.

Joel

Well my Toro 1128-OXE showed up. I must say that Toro did a nice job packing it and the box clearly indicates where to open-very easy, and assembly was a breeze.

I'm not a big Ariens fan nor a Toro fan. However, in defence of Ariens, that''s the first I've heard of parts availability issues.

The biggest problem with Ariens is their propensity to re-invent the snow thrower every time they start up the production line. They tend to make slight changes or modifications to models and give them a new name/designation/series number which in turn leads to confusion simply by weight of numbers.

Serial number identification is the sure fire way to get the right part for the right machine.

The slight changes can be a big problem for me. Their part numbers change a lot on certain equipment.

As for serial numbers, I almost always have those. I almost always have parts diagrams, part numbers, etc too. Still, there are problems. I have been trying to get a wheel for a newer (
With Toro, I never run into [censored] like this. I have never had a single problem ordering any part from Toro and their turnaround is quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back