0w-40 Euro in John Deere Kawasaki

So I got a used JD x380 in excellent condition with only 250 hours. It has a Kawasaki 22HP V-Twin air cooled engine. Previous owner just buys the JD kit that includes the Turf Guard 10w-30. I am looking to change the oil for the first time. I had bought some 5 quarts of the Amazon Basics 0w-40 Euro when Amazon was clearing them out for like $5 each. I used that oil on the Benz for 10k changes and had no issues but I sold that Benz. I want to use the left overs on this JD. I see that Kawasaki modified their oil recommendations to include 10w-40 and even 20w-50 depending where you live. I am in MA and of course I would only use the JD to cut when it's at least 60 degrees out. I don't use it in the winter as I have 2 Ariens. So my question is do you guys think it is safe to use the 0w-40 Euro in this Kawasaki engine and even the Ariens as well which I have using 5w-30 synthetics. I looked around but could not come to a definite conclusion from what I read. Thanks.

@walterjay @jeepman3071 Thanks guys. I appreciate it. From what I read a lot of people love the Rotella T6 15w-50 but I am thinking I got like 4 of these 5 quarts jugs here already and I want to use them instead of accumulating more. Although air cooled I would not be out there when it's over 90 degrees cutting the lawn anyways. I'll definitely be using these. Thanks again.

I put in 10w60 that is intended for BMW v10's. I do have a little bit of a use case being in texas. I did it to amuse myself, and mostly to leverage the knowledge gained from this community.

OK, I know I am overthinking this but just out of curiosity the 0w-40 Euro that I have here, wouldn't that basically be the same as the 10w-40 that Kawasaki recommended? Since I would only be using this tractor to cut grass when it is at least 60 degrees out and not using it in the winter whatsoever?

The 10w40 will usually have a higher HTHS than an 0w40, but 10w40 also has a real reputation for shearing so it is probably a wash. The 0w40 will almost certainly be a much better base oil. Since you have it already by all means use it.

I use Rotella 15w40 in mine but I didn’t have anything else suitable on hand, so it was purchased with the mower in mind.

10w40 also has a real reputation for shearing so it is probably a wash. The 0w40 will almost certainly be a much better base oil.
Those are two really, really wide nets you’re casting. Remember that 10w40 can be made with much less VIIs than a 0w40 can.

It even appears that HPL may soon release a 10w40 No VII if the ADV website is giving us clues…

Many folks use 15W-40 diesel oil in lawn tractors of all sorts.
Of course. If the recommended grades are either 10w40 and 20w50, 15w40 must be the most sensible choice.
If this 726cc air cooled engine was in a motorcycle and running at 3,200 rpm all day, most owners would gravitate to 20w50.
A 726cc engine producing 25hp isn’t exactly over stressed. In fact unless you’re towing an aerator, mowing long grass or blowing snow I doubt you are using full power.

How about a 4 stroke marine oil like 25-40w. Hot weather starting will not be an issue. Outboards can really shear oils.
A marine oil will work fine, but may not give the best service. The additive pack in marine oils are engineered with a heavy emphasis on controlling moisture, acid formation, corrosion, etc. which is not a primary concern in a garden tractor.

Back