Snow Blowers-Deere v. Ariens v. Toro- Which One?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gd9704
Ariens. 'Nuff said.

Ten to fifteen years ago, you may have been correct.

They're not building the same solid machines today compared to what they used to manufacture.

However, that can pretty much be said for all of the domestics with possible exception of Ariens, Simplicity and Toro "Pro" models.

CSM746: ”I obtained a case of Delo 0W-30 HDEO synthetic.”

Aahhh … the secret nectar of snowblower motor oils.

My Dad has a 1980s vintage John Deere (#1032) … which is kind of tough … but has been a fix-or-repair-daily clunker for the last decade. Every control has been fixed or replaced and a couple years ago the case developed

It sounds like the newer units are entirely different, however.

He got an Ariens 11285 several years ago. Initially this thing (improperly set-up by a big-box retailer) performed poorly but after my tweaking, it has been terrific. Its high-bypass impeller/auger throws powder like nobody’s business but struggles in slush and very wet snow.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Ariens. 'Nuff said.

They're not building the same solid machines today compared to what they used to manufacture.

However, that can pretty much be said for all of the domestics with possible exception of Ariens, Simplicity and Toro "Pro" models.

I have to agree with you.....I have a machine made in 1982. I look around the Ariens dealership when ordering parts, and the new models don't have the "built like a tank" feel of the older ones.

Ariens. 'Nuff said.

I have to agree with you.....I have a machine made in 1982. I look around the Ariens dealership when ordering parts, and the new models don't have the "built like a tank" feel of the older ones.

It's truly a sad thing. The pride of quality manufacturing is a thing of the past.

I consider myself fortunate for buying one of the last Wisconsin plant Simplicity snow throwers. No fancy gizmos. Just simple, rugged, well designed and built to tight tolerances. It can move snow too!

If I were in the market for a snow thrower these days, I'd be looking for a well maintained used Ariens, Simplicity/Snapper/(JD)or Toro that's between eight to twenty years old.

I'd re-power/refurbish it and maybe put on a Clarence kit.

Those old machines were built with quality components and were tough as nails.

My 1986 Toro 38080 "824" w/ Clarence kit is still running great and moves snow better than anything on the block. Before the Clarence kit it would plug up with most of the types of snow we typically see in my area in a storm (wet, heavy, semi-slushy). Post-Clarence - not one clog.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
My 1986 Toro 38080 "824" w/ Clarence kit is still running great and moves snow better than anything on the block. Before the Clarence kit it would plug up with most of the types of snow we typically see in my area in a storm (wet, heavy, semi-slushy). Post-Clarence - not one clog.

The clearance between the impeller housing and impeller blades is what makes the difference. My old Craftsman machines were between 5/16" and 3/8" clearance. My Simplicity is around 1/8.

Without a Clarence kit, it throws snow impressively. However, it does have an eleven h.p. engine on a chassis with a 28" intake.

The clearance between the impeller housing and impeller blades is what makes the difference. My old Craftsman machines were between 5/16" and 3/8" clearance. My Simplicity is around 1/8.

Without a Clarence kit, it throws snow impressively. However, it does have an eleven h.p. engine on a chassis with a 28" intake.

Yes, exactly. I measured a huge impeller clearance from the factory on that Toro. I could shove the tip of my index finger between the impeller and housing all the way around. It could even have been the wrong impeller, I guess. My dad lived with it like that for 20 years and a Clarence kit fixed it right up.

It's too bad we didn't really get turned on to the issue and simple fix sooner - which is why I'll mention the Clarence kit anywhere I can where people seem to be having the same problems. I stand nothing to gain from additional Clarence sales but I couldn't be happier with the results.

Last edited:
Ariens. 'Nuff said.

If I were in the market for a snow thrower these days, I'd be looking for a well maintained used Ariens, Simplicity/Snapper/(JD)or Toro that's between eight to twenty years old.

I'd re-power/refurbish it and maybe put on a Clarence kit.

Those old machines were built with quality components and were tough as nails.

That's what I did.......

I had my '82 machine already, and it was getting rusty and tired.

Before:
ariens724.jpg

About $400 (parts, tires, sandblasting media, paint) and 1/2 ton of elbow grease later:

done2.jpg

I added a "Clarence" impeller kit and we're ready for winter!

The original H70 Tecumseh still starts on the first pull and runs well, so I left it alone.

As I waded up to my ankles in rust, lots of people told me I should just throw it out and buy a new one. If you've ever had one of these vintage machines, you know that they are truly built to last generations.

Since parts are still readily available, I gave it a shot, and I am happy!!!

Beautiful job on the restoration. That machine is tougher than 95% of what's on the market now. It's definitely a lifer.

It's ironic that people with the desire and skills will do something like that and end up with a machine that will not cause problems for many years to come.

On the other hand, those with little desire or insufficient knowledge/experience will buy poorly crafted machines that will require a great deal of maintenance within a few short years.

The newer, low quality machines will nickel dime you to the poor house.

Dealers love them!!

Cool. A whole new machine
My Mid 70's Bolens 625 hasn't any rust on its mustard yellow exterior, it does have some surface paint smearing and a little in the prop walls. Its my first winter with it so I will see how it goes, but I plan to repaint the prop housing next summer.

Nice job on that '82 Ariens. That's a beast.

In regards to the JD snowblowers being a Simplicity clone, I'm not so sure of that. As far as I can tell, the intermediate Simplicity line is a Murray clone (or based on an older Murray design). The only 'real' Simplicity is the "Signature Pro Commercial" line.

Murray's like this go for ~$900. Briggs engine, 27" width:

1695836.jpg

Joel

Prior to B&S downgrading the Simplicity line, Simplicity large frame machines were very robust. I know that the JD machines of four or five years ago were Simplicity large frame snow throwers with a few cosmetic changes and some slight changes in controls. Otherwise they were pretty much identical.

Simplicity's intermediate machines paled by comparison to the large frame models. The Simplicity Pro line were even more impressive.

http://www.simplicitymfg.com/products/snow-throwers/

Might as well put a cab and a seat on that thing.

I'd be willing to venture that machine would fetch between $10 to $15K.

If I'm going to spend that much, I'd buy a Kubota or JD diesel yard tractor with a snow thrower attachment.

This is a picture of my 2006 Simplicity large frame with the 305cc Kool Bore engine. Check out the beefy cast iron auger gear housing, the size of the auger shafts, heavy duty impeller and close clearance inside the impeller housing. These things were built. It's a shame that B&S have decided to not carry on the build quality of these machines.

Note the plastic liner I put inside the chute. It's a piece of a kid's Krazy Karpet that I cut and fit to protect the paint on the inside of the steel chute and to eliminate wet snow from sticking. Although not shown in this picture, I've also installed a piece of stainless steel plate on the underside of the deflector to protect it from stone chips etc.

The tubing attached to the chassis is the mounts for my quick release snow cab.

Simplicity.jpg

"Try 3-6k CAD"

Not for that one.

I checked the Japanese site and the model closely resembling the one pictured was 911400 Japanes yen which converts to $11209.82 CAD. That's the cost for it in Japan. Now add shipping costs and whatever tariffs/importation charges that might be assessed, the local dealer "gouge factor", then add our wonderful HST at 13% and the price will getting closer to the $15K mark.

Here's a link but it's in Japanese:

http://www.yamaha-motor.jp/snowthrower/lineup/index.html

Last edited:
This is a picture of my 2006 Simplicity large frame with the 305cc Kool Bore engine. Check out the beefy cast iron auger gear housing, the size of the auger shafts, heavy duty impeller and close clearance inside the impeller housing. These things were built. It's a shame that B&S have decided to not carry on the build quality of these machines.

Note the plastic liner I put inside the chute. It's a piece of a kid's Krazy Karpet that I cut and fit to protect the paint on the inside of the steel chute and to eliminate wet snow from sticking. Although not shown in this picture, I've also installed a piece of stainless steel plate on the underside of the deflector to protect it from stone chips etc.

The tubing attached to the chassis is the mounts for my quick release snow cab.

Simplicity.jpg

Where do you get the Kids Krazy Karpet at? I'd like to put that on my Arien's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back