Snap-on pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote=billt460 What irritates me, is as soon as someone hears the word China, immediately they insinuate it automatically means poor quality. That is not always the case. Honda has moved their small engine production to China. As have many companies. More are going to. Like it or not. Accept it or not, that's the global market we now live in.

Wow. You just questioned me for my analogy of Akebono brake pad warranty and Craftsman tools. What does Honda making engines in China have to do with Craftsman tools (I actually DO understand your analogy)?

A bit hypocritical, don't you think?

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by doitmyself
30+ years ago Sears Craftsman was the perfect solution for home mechanics and even serious enthusiasts.

They still are. What's changed?

The quality of the tools changed. The quality is not the same as i saw in the 80's and before. I don't see an advantage to paying for the craftsman name on a wrench to get the HF quality, not that i want HF either.

I would pay more for an american made tool that was good quality and fit my needs. I have some snap on tools not a lot , and i have a good bit of older craftsman, but i won't buy it now.

Snap on is a bit expensive to justify for me in a home setting,specialty tools yes. Fortunately i have a good number of older the made in usa craftsman.

Last edited:
There are lots of facts showing Chinese Craftsman having lower attributes than even the declining US Craftsman of recent past: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=craftsman+wrench+quality+china+vs.+US

So your "proof" is a couple of You Tube videos? OK, if you're convinced then I'm happy for you.

You don't acknowledge a difference between homeowner use of tools and professional use of tools.

No I don't because it's total B.S. You have car dealerships full of young, pimple faced 18 and 20 year old kids who are, considered to be "professional mechanics". Because they work in the trade. They have all but zero experience in their field. But they have a nice big, shiny set of expensive, Snap On tools. That is going to take them 5 years or more to pay off through payroll deductions.

You also have "homeowners" in their 40's, 50's, and 60's who have done more mechanical work by mistake, than any of these kids I just described have done on purpose. And they have a garage full of well used Craftsman, Harbor Freight, and other much lower cost brands of tools. They are not "professionals".

So you'll have to pardon me if I don't buy into your whole "professional" vs. "homeowner" diatribe. It's nothing but pure nonsense. The brand of tools you own means nothing in your ability to use them effectively. Or for that matter how long they'll last.

You emphasize the importance of Snap-on ownership as a status symbol.

Because for a lot of people it is. There is no getting around it. It is ridiculous for young kids to go into such debt for mechanics tools. Yet Snap On lures these kids into these high interest, long term financed, contracts on status alone. And takes advantage of them financially. Their tools are no better than many other brands. And their warranty is worse. In some cases much worse. As I showed in my post.

You don't understand my analogy of Akebono pads with only a 30 day warranty or Chinese water pump with a lifetime warranty.

I understand it perfectly. I don't find it applicable in this case at all. You can't return brake pads and water pumps once they are installed, without a great deal of difficulty, and added labor. I can replace a broken wrench at Harbor Freight, or a Craftsman at Home Depot in 15 minutes. Big difference. It's nothing but a silly apples and oranges comparison, in some feeble attempt to justify Snap On's weak, flimsy warranty. A better warranty is better, period. And you running interference with water pumps and brake pads won't make it worse.

You don't accept that Sears still has a hand in Craftsman production. Here's an example: The Sears line of Craftsman 20V drills is different and not compatible with the Lowes Craftsman 20V drill. This means that Sears requested to SBD to produce a drill for them that is different than what SBD is producing for Lowes.

So what? It's done all the time by countless manufacturers for their customers. They are contracting Craftsman to build them a particular product. Which they are paying Craftsman for. They do not have a hand in day to day operations involving the other products that are being manufactured by Craftsman. Or how or where they are produced, distributed and sold. Only for what they contract and pay for. I shouldn't have to be explaining this to you. It's basic merchandising and manufacturing 101.

You state it's not your warranty logic and them back it up with "If you still think Snap On is they way to go, in spite of their "mediocre warranty", then by all means buy them. They'll be more than happy to take your money. And you'll be the coolest guy in the garage." Your entire argument seems to be about warranty.

It's not an "argument", but yes, it is about warranty. That is what I posted. The warranties of all three tools. That's it. You took it from there, blew the whole thing up, because you were obviously offended. If me posting those warranties offends you, that's not my problem. You'll just have to get over it.

I said I struck a "painful nerve" with Snap On owners, and or supporters because I did. Why else would Trav edit out Snap On's warranty exclusions, when he quoted my post showing it in it's entirety? That's a childish joke in itself. Does he think no one is going to see what he did? I posted the entire thing right above his. That's petty, childish, and stupid. And it shows I did indeed, "strike a nerve". Because it bothered him so much to see Snap On's inferior warranty starring him in the face. So he deleted it.

The difference is that I can understand why some people choose Snap-on and you won't.

I understand perfectly why people choose Snap On. I just happen to upset some of them when I posted their warranty, and compared it to the others. Again, I didn't write those warranties. I just posted them so people can read for themselves. It obviously upset some of them. If that's the case, they should complain to Snap On, not me. I don't care what they or you buy, or their reasons for doing so.

It's not even debatable that Craftsman lowered their standards bigly when they moved hand tool production to China. Look at 2 raised panel combo wrenches side by side. The China version has a ton more metal. Bulkier wrenches are not an advantage so it's pretty easy why they had to add more metal.

Craftsman's warranty cost them a lot of money over the years with people buying yard sale beat up, broken and abused tools and trading them for a new one. I doubt it led to a big increase in sales.

Of course Sears saved some money when they didn't warranty my Craftsman Robogrip pliers because the new ones don't say Craftsman. GUARANTEED FOREVER!!!!!!(or until we stop making it or sell the design).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hatt
Craftsman's warranty cost them a lot of money over the years with people buying yard sale beat up, broken and abused tools and trading them for a new one. I doubt it led to a big increase in sales.

Perhaps not, I have no idea what their sales figures are over the years. But it put their brand front and center, because it was the best warranty in the hand tool business for decades, bar none. Now they have competitors. Just look at the hand tool manufacturers that have come along since the 60's.

I concede that Snap-on's warranty is not as good as Craftsman and Harbor Freight. I also mentioned that Akebono brake pads only have a 30 day warranty vs. Autozone's lifetime free replacement. I still buy Akebono brake pads.

Why did this discussion end up arguing warranties, as if warranty is the only metric that tool usefulness is measured by. billt460, your very first post in this thread ended with a statement comparing warranties and you are still at it. Talk about going around in circles.

I would wager that most would concur:

- Snap-on makes or sells very high quality tools, certainly not the best in all categories (they relabel and jack the price up on numerous tools).
- Snap-on's business model (tool truck) is very expensive and somewhat a luxury and elitist.
- Snap-on tools are VERY expensive and in most cases over priced (subjective).
- Snap-on's credit system takes many down the rat hole just like credit cards do.
- Snap-on's warranty is not as good nor as convenient as Harbor Freight and Craftsman.
- Snap-on tools might improve an individual's performance in some cases, but the tool brand choice won't improve one's skill level.

What are we debating here? Oh, warranties. Got it. Again, I am in agreement. Harbor Freight and Craftsman have the best warranty, bar none. You are correct, I'm sorry, I love you......oh wait, that's only for my wife. I retract that.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by Oscar_Ruitt
Those tools are REALLY good, and have a local rep who shows up and backs them up, so if you're a professional using them every day I can see the appeal. But dang, it sure seems like the ones that cost 1/3 or less might be good for a few years until you save up for the best stuff.

I work at a shop and I consider myself a professional. No way would I pay those prices.

Unless you're turning wrenches in NASCAR or NHRA.... HF tools are just fine.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by Oscar_Ruitt
Those tools are REALLY good, and have a local rep who shows up and backs them up, so if you're a professional using them every day I can see the appeal. But dang, it sure seems like the ones that cost 1/3 or less might be good for a few years until you save up for the best stuff.

I work at a shop and I consider myself a professional. No way would I pay those prices.

When is Harbor Freight going to get into the medical equipment game?

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

And, if you want a higher quality tool, there are numerous brands that are much less expensive than Snap-on: Wright, Proto, SK, Carlyle, Channellock, and numerous Euro brands. Isn't this what the thread topic is about? However, their warranties also pale in comparison to Harbor Freight and Craftsman, so be warned.
lol.gif

It was until someone decided warranty was the most important thing and turned it into a Snap on bash of which I only own a few tools because those particular tools they make are the best.

Few things I like about Snap-on:

They don't make the best in any single category, but you can always count on them to deliver a quality tool.

They make and sell "kits" for varying industries and types of equipment, making ordering, outfitting, and maintaining boxes simple.

They have FOD control built in, with custom laser etching and shadowing of any and everything they sell.

Their Military/Defense pricing is very competitive.

I've never had an issue with "warranty." I've hand carried broken tools 3,000 miles and had them exchanged no questions asked.

Originally Posted by expat
So over priced even Snap on must realise it! The future for Snap on does not look good IMO.

Some of those prices are crazy, but for everyone trying to make a living, there's someone who is making those tools domestically.

Those are people with jobs and families and bills to pay.

How is this different than the lousy customers questioning the rationale in pricing and work scope when they bring cars in?

Don't businesses price appropriately for the market?

Originally Posted by Trav
I only own a few tools because those particular tools they make are the best.

Best of breed tools come from all over. Ive been happy with everything SO I've bought, but you're right, it's sillt to have blind allegiance to any one vendor...

What's a SnapOn mechanic(let's say a Ford stealership tech) tool setup going to cost vs piecing together top of the line tools vs as much Harbor Freight/cheap as you can go? Few give buying a $60k truck a second look. Are tools, even the most expensive, that expensive for a professional considering how long they're going to last.

DIYers stay home. Obviously SO isn't a great financial decision for someone that changes out a alternator/similar every once in a while.

Last edited:
True, Klein & SK pliers, PB Swiss screwdrivers, SK, Williams, Wright, Koken, Nepros sockets and extensions, and the German and Japanese brands for others. My box looks like a whats what of brands but they are all very good tools and I have rarely used any warranty.
I have broke some and modified some and then broke it but to me that's not something that should be warrantied as it was of my own doing. The genuine failures on the small amount I have had over the years were always taken care of regardless of brand as long as they were still in business.

Unless its a high dollar tool I don't care much about the warranty, the tools will hold up and they have proven that in the decades I have owned and used them.

billt460, your very first post in this thread ended with a statement comparing warranties and you are still at it. Talk about going around in circles.

No, I'm not, "going around in circles". I am staying on topic. That is what I posted. All 3 warranties. And that is the topic I stayed on by discussing them. And kept coming back to, just as you accused me of. Craftsman has the best. Harbor Freight comes in a very close second. And Snap On is a very distant third. Show those warranties to 1,000 people without any product names attached, and they will all tell you the same thing.

You on the other hand are all over the map. And now you're complaining because I kept on the original topic. While you want to argue about everything from brake pads, to "homeowners" vs. "professionals" to, "improved performance", to "business models". And everything in between except the Bass fishing on Lake Winnebago. So if you want to attack me for remaining on the original topic I started, which is the warranties of all 3, then I'm guilty as charged. You've been trolling, trying to sidetrack this whole thread for the last 2 pages. But don't complain because I didn't take your silly bait.

Sorry, but you took it hook, line, and sinker.
Trolling.gif

..................................................................................
hooked.gif

Everyone else has moved on to the original thread topic "Snap-on pricing". You went off topic about warranties and continue in every single post.

Since you wish to discuss warranties, here are some for the major tool manufacturer's "lifetime warranties" that also put them a notch below Craftsman and Harbor Freight: (now I have taken the bait. Shame on me.
spankme2.gif
) The entertainment value has overridden the usefulness of this thread

Hazet: Claims due to liability for defects do not exist in the event of only minor deviation from the agreed characteristics, in the event of only minor impairment of usability, in the event of natural wear or damage which emerges after the transfer of risk due to incorrect or negligent handling or any other particular external influences.

Proto: Does not extend to products that have been improperly used, altered, or repaired by any entity other than Proto. Does not cover the following categories of products: universal sockets, universal joints, thin-wall impact sockets, adapters, and retaining rings. Does not cover damage due to ordinary wear and tear.

SK: This excludes wear from normal use, or any problems or defects caused by misuse, abuse, neglect, accidents, modification or improper maintenance of the tool. Any tool that appears to have been used for any purpose, at SK's sole determination, other than that for which it is intended will not be accepted for warranty replacement, repair or reimbursement.

Channellock: https://www.channellock.com/warranty/ Normal wear and tear, misuse, lack of maintenance, abuse or overload..........

Knipex: This warranty applies only to the original end-user that purchased the tool, and does not apply in any way to failures caused by misuse, abuse, alteration, accident, or tools worn out by use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back