Harbor Freight... American Made, Lifetime Warranty

Just being made here is not some kind of automatic badge of some mythical attainment of superior quality. This nation pumps out more than its fair share of crap as well.

Shoddy workmanship comes in all shapes and sizes..... And prices. As well as the origin of manufacture. In addition, the argument that used to prevail about, "supporting American jobs and families" doesn't hold much water anymore either.

American families build Toyota's in Texas, and Honda's in Ohio. Just like the Mexican men and women who build Fords in Cuautitlán, Mexico. Like it or not the current global economy has shattered a lot of borders jobs wise.
That is why on vehicles the monroney sticker it will show final assembly point, and if its made in USA will show % of USA content.

May or may not be better or worse, but its your right to know where your money is going.

I've got an example of where Made in USA might not mean what you think it does...

I recently read about a boot company that used to have a factory in Ohio (Rocky boot co.). They closed it down and relocated the factory to Puerto Rico, but are still allowed to stick Made in USA labels on them (and charge a premium price compared to the vast majority of their footwear that isn't "Made in the USA").

I'm not saying this is the case with these tools, but it could be. Finding out where a factory actually is isn't exactly easy. Especially on generic stuff like this.
I'm almost positive that Weber Kettle Grills have finagled a way around the "Made in America " phrase. Well made in America from foreign and domestic parts. The steel on my three-year-old Weber kettle is not nearly as heavy duty nor is the finish of my parents thirty plus year old Weber kettle grill. I called customer service and they couldn't (Didn't want to maybe) say where the grills were now manufactured. I had to have the top lid replaced under warranty after three months due to the ceramic coating coming off now the bottom has the coating coming off and is rusting.

I'm almost positive that Weber Kettle Grills have finagled a way around the "Made in America " phrase. Well made in America from foreign and domestic parts. The steel on my three-year-old Weber kettle is not nearly as heavy duty nor is the finish of my parents thirty plus year old Weber kettle grill. I called customer service and they couldn't (Didn't want to maybe) say where the grills were now manufactured. I had to have the top lid replaced under warranty after three months due to the ceramic coating coming off now the bottom has the coating coming off and is rusting.
A lot of companies do. It's why it really doesn't matter where it is manufactured any longer. Look at Nike shoes. They cost a fortune, and are made in Vietnam. New Balance shoes are made here, and for the most part are cheaper. Which one is, "better"?

A lot of companies do. It's why it really doesn't matter where it is manufactured any longer. Look at Nike shoes. They cost a fortune, and are made in Vietnam. New Balance shoes are made here, and for the most part are cheaper. Which one is, "better"?
All I know is that if I were Mr. Weber and were still around I'd be livid that the product with my name on it being cheapened out. On the flip side I saw that a few American companies bought out a number of foreign companies and kept the name. The locals were irate.

Back