Smallest Oil Sump in a car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my Civic Hybrid == 3.3 quarts
the original 1999 Insight Hybrid == 2.5 quarts (in other words, half a jug)

It might come down to the sump versus displacement ratio. My Hyundai 1.6 is 3.5 qts. for drain & refill and 3.8 qts. bone dry. That's the smallest of the cars I've had but seems ample when you see some larger displacement engines having less.

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Older Nissan 1.8s had a 3 qt sump.

Yup and the 1.6L too.

That's right, and the recommended OCI is 15k km (9,320 miles) at least in Finland. IMHO, a bit too long OCI for such a small sump.

How long OCI is recommended for the other small sump cars listed in this thread?

Originally Posted By: finmile
How long OCI is recommended for the other small sump cars listed in this thread?

The owner's manual for the 1970 VW Beetle says to change it every 3,000 miles with SAE 30

I change it once a year, regardless of the miles. Around 700-1500 miles a year. Last time with Mobil 1 HM 10w40

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
It might come down to the sump versus displacement ratio. My Hyundai 1.6 is 3.5 qts. for drain & refill and 3.8 qts. bone dry. That's the smallest of the cars I've had but seems ample when you see some larger displacement engines having less.
Sump volume versus cylinder area swept by the rings might be more relevant. Either way, 3.5 quarts of oil in a 1.6-liter (or smaller) engine is proportionately a very generous oil supply, compared to only 6 or 7 quarts in a 7-liter engine. My last two previous cars both needed about 3.4 quarts with filter change.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Older Nissan 1.8s had a 3 qt sump.

That's what my 1.8 2006 Sentra takes.
with such a small sump I feel better with full synthetic in it.

Three main things to look at before buying a new car:

1. The sound the engine makes (the quieter the better)
2. Oil sump capacity (5 quarts minimum)
3. Front seat leg room

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
It might come down to the sump versus displacement ratio

I looked at Ford's new 1.0 engine which is the same size as my insight. Ford uses almost double the oil (4.7 quarts). Maybe it's because their engine soaks the timing belt in oil... they want extra oil for the task.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back