Smallest .40 S&W???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys - very unusual request for me. Circumstances have me searching for a very small sub-compact semi-auto. .40 S&W preferred.

Kahr, Kel-Tec, Sig, S&W????

What's the smallest/best........

Neither Kahr or Kel-Tec currently make a subcompact .40.

The Glock 27, Sig P250 Subcompact, and S&W M&P 40C are .40 S&W and are all virtually the same size.

Any particular reason it cant be a 9mm? With the correct ammo the 9mm is still very effective and I find it much more controllable in a compact. I would try to go to a large range with rentals and try your primary choices. I cant stand the 27 and love the M&P but I have friends that are just the opposite.

PS My current carry is 9mm and is loaded with LE9T5 Federal Premium 135 Grain Tactical Bonded.

The Kel-Tec P40 will get the job done but good luck finding them local. Ive only found them used on the internet. But it is a good compact .40. You might have better luck getting a compact .380 or 9mm. I personally carry a Ruger LCP .380 and I couldnt be happier. The comfort level of carrying it is insane I have ZERO excuse to leave it at home.

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy

The Glock 27, Sig P250 Subcompact, and S&W M&P 40C are .40 S&W and are all virtually the same size.

Are you sure on the Kahr? They don't make this any more?

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-PM40-Black.asp

I've shot the Glock 27 and M&P 40C. I did not like the feel of the Glock. The M&P felt pretty sweet, but neither are as small as the Kahr as far as I can tell.

Pablo, would be great if you could borrow or rent several different makes and run a few mags through each. The gun has to be totally reliable and hopefully comfortable to carry. Have settled on the Glock 27 for pocket carry and the Glock 36 for belt concealed carry. The M&P is a sweet reliable gun also. When the weather becomes colder usually the Glock 30 gets the off duty carry. Basically these guns were chosen for reliability and stopping power.

I have a PM9 Kahr and they make a 40S@W and I saw a guy shoot one at the range the recoil didn't seen really too bad at all. I have shot a XD sub compact in 40 S@W which is a bit bigger and heavier than the Kahr but the recoul isn't really bad at all. The Kahr PM9 shoots really well but it is a sub compact so it thas all the sub compact problems like the small grip lighter weight etc. As mentioned you have to try one to see if you like it . To me you can learn to shoot anything but if a choice is given a gun that feels good in the hand makes shooting easier.

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
I have ZERO excuse to leave it at home.
That is the best thing that can be posted . If you want a carry gun get one that you can carry comfortably all the time ....Don't leave home without it.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: OldCowboy

Are you sure on the Kahr? They don't make this any more?

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-PM40-Black.asp

I've shot the Glock 27 and M&P 40C. I did not like the feel of the Glock. The M&P felt pretty sweet, but neither are as small as the Kahr as far as I can tell.

Funny, I didn't see that one when I looked at Kahr's web site. That looks like a sweet pistol. I'll say this much about some of the current .380's. They are small enough to drop in a front pocket and still not be noticeable.

I just bought a S&W Bodyguard 380 and it is the best compact firearm I have ever owned. Shoots great, fits in any pocket.

I would never go higher than .38 Spc or 9mm in a compact firearm.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
What about the LC9 or Kimber Solo Carry?
I really like the LC9 but its amount of safety features make me mad. The little lever that lifts up indicating its loaded is just silly. If Im the one carrying it I SHOULD know if its loaded or not. And Im not going to rely on a little lever to tell me its safe or not. Other than that its a good pistol but a little pricy for what you get. Not any better than a Kel-Tec PF-9 or P-11. Nearly DOUBLE!! For the Ruger name and safety junk.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I was thinking about the Compact M&P .357Sig
The 357 Sig isn't as popular as compared to a 40 or 9.

Springfield Armory EMP? 9mm and .40 S&W available. Pricey, but is the only small auto that catches my interest right now.

Ed

Originally Posted By: edhackett
Springfield Armory EMP? 9mm and .40 S&W available. Pricey, but is the only small auto that catches my interest right now.

Ed
Too expensive for the life that a CCW pistol lives. I love expensive 1911s more than any gun that is made but IMO there are better choices than the 1911 types for ccw. There are many brands between $500.00 and $800.00 that would do all ccw things better.

Yea, catches my interest, but not enough to buy, for all the reasons you state.

I shoot revolvers more accurately than I do most semi-autos(much less monkey motion going on to distract). I've settled on a S&W J frame 342PD, aluminum frame, titanium cylinder, 11 oz. empty as my primary carry gun. Just drop it in a front pants pocket with or without a pocket holster. As stated earlier, no excuses not to carry it.

Ed

I have an airweight on my CCW and any bullet heavier than a 125gn +p really hurts to shoot and what is interesting it with a steel J frame snubbie the heavier +p loads aren't bad at all the lighter weight makes lots of difference IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back