Sitting for over a decade- is it worth is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced lots of steering racks and transmissions in that era of GM front-drive cars. I wouldn't want it if it were free.

As was already said, years of sitting will have taken it's toll. It would cost more money than it's worth to make it reliable.

Old person driven. You don't want it IMO.

Crazy low miles for the year = bad, and it's been sitting = bad again.

I have had a few experiences with cars that were sitting for long periods of time. All of them ended up with various seal problems. The worst one was my grandmother's 73 Nova. My Dad and I went to Ohio to pick it up and drive it back to Southern Ca for my youngest sister to drive.

It had about 22,000 miles on it when we got it in 1985. Virtually every seal in that car leaked - valve covers, rear main, transmission seal, the power steering leaked even the radiator had a leak. The car had been garaged for at least 5 years before we got it.

I also had to replace all the brakes within about a year - the master cylinder and three of the four wheel cylinders leaked fluid.

For some reason I had to replace the starter multiple times as well. Never figured out why.

This is how I approach buying used cars:

1. Find one with low miles and in good condition (check in this case)
2. Pay for an independent dealer pre-purchase inspection
3. Offer book value (NEVER PAY MORE THAN PRIVATE PARTY) less any repairs needed in step 2
4. Walk away if unable to meet #2 and #3
5. If all checks out and price is agreed, purchase car and arrange delivery

one of the biggest heaps of crapola ever produced by gm....my wife of 19yrs when we first met had this when we were teens. lets just say the hood was up more than it was closed.

Thanks to all that replied. After really thinking about what I read here and my own feelings, I decided to pass. Not wanting to chase down endless fluid leaks and electrical gremlins due to sitting was what really did it for me. Also, I was under the impression it had the Series I 3800. I wasn't aware that GM put the odd-fire 3.8 in this car, and also don't want to contend with that.

Originally Posted by Fifth87
I wasn't aware that GM put the odd-fire 3.8 in this car

All of the Buick-based V/6 engine variants were "even-fire" starting in mid 1977 (1978 models).

It's got a nice green plate on it too. Too bad it can't be transferred. I'm keeping mine.

Originally Posted by Fifth87
Thanks to all that replied. After really thinking about what I read here and my own feelings, I decided to pass. Not wanting to chase down endless fluid leaks and electrical gremlins due to sitting was what really did it for me. Also, I was under the impression it had the Series I 3800. I wasn't aware that GM put the odd-fire 3.8 in this car, and also don't want to contend with that.

Good call. That thing would require much, much, more money than it is worth to make it reliable. Even then, older cars are not nearly as safe as newer car's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back