Sitting for over a decade- is it worth is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In looking for a replacement for my Cutlass Ciera, I came across this:

https://capecod.craigslist.org/cto/d/1986-oldsmobile-delta-88/6740220923.html

I always liked the earlier H-Bodies, but they aren't really common anymore. I realize that this will have to be gone through having revived stored cars before. The mold caught my eye, and I definitely think the asking price is way too high. Any opinions on this, the car, things to know and what would be a realistic offer would be greatly appreciated.

That body style Olds are among my favorite cars. I love the way they drive and handle. I would buy one of those in a heartbeat with that kind've low mileage. The only discrepancy in the ad is that he lists it as an 8 cyl. These had the 3800 V6. $1800 obo,go check it out with cash in hand and offer him $1000.

Check for rust, but if its relatively rust free, i'd offer say 750, Its an '86.

Its going to need tires, brakes, hoses, belts so take that into consideration with the owner.

Last edited:
This might sound weird, I like the door handles on those and they are good looking cars.

My mom had an 87 Cutlass Ciera when I was a kid. It had the same theft resistant wire wheel hub caps as on that car.
Hopefully the center caps aren't missing. You'd pop off the center cap and use the provided tool to spin them loose or tighten to install.

My mom totaled hers. A guy backed out of his driveway and my mom smashed into the side of an F150 at 25 MPH.
She wasn't buckled up and cracked the windshield with her skull, but manged to walk away.

Notes: Those cars were actually lighter for their size compared to something modern.
Combine that with no airbags and the car not being safe in general is not something I'd wanna get involved in a wreck with.

Maybe if it was free and I was really into 80's domestic kitsch, and wanted a moldy car.

I don't think anyone would have paid that much for it a decade ago.

That mold might be dust or a reflection from the camera flash. Since it was stored inside, I'd consider it. I think $1200 would be my limit and I'd budget another $800 to get it road worthy (doing the work myself).

Not sure I'd depend on it for a daily driver, but it's a cool survivor.

Ah, the fresh salty air of Cape Cod!
We spent many summers in Eastham.
That ocean air is great for the lungs but absolutely horrible for an old car that's been sitting for a few years.

Hard pass.....

The mold is there. In my opinion it is not serious. I had a mold event with my car where it molded, just like this Oldsmobile, in one week. A rag and some Lysol took care of the problem.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
That body style Olds are among my favorite cars. I love the way they drive and handle. I would buy one of those in a heartbeat with that kind've low mileage. The only discrepancy in the ad is that he lists it as an 8 cyl. These had the 3800 V6. $1800 obo,go check it out with cash in hand and offer him $1000.

Correction, this had the LG3 V6
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_88
Neighbor had the early model, nothing but problems (in the late 80's).

The one you want is the later 88+ models with the 3800 v6 as they were far more reliable.

As for the mold, I agree with what's posted above. I had some accumulation in the bmw after a year sitting in a damp garage.
After some light cleaning and a few days in the hot summer sun, all was fine.

There was a time I would be all over a 30 yr old low mile car. Not after my last garage queen 528e, Every single seal in that drive train is waaay beyond its engineered life. Every bit of bare metal has rusted. This isn't to say that it won't run with gas and a battery. But wait until it needs to be taken apart. Or you slam on the breaks. Intentional pun. Give me an older car with a zillion miles instead,
grin2.gif

PS. This was the malaise era for GM. Other than being an old car with low miles, this car has very little going for it. Maybe 300$

Last edited:
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
$1800 obo,go check it out with cash in hand and offer him $1000.

Same - I'd maybe go $1200 if it is really nice, but never $1800

Too much money. Needs all fluids changed, new tires, and all hoses and belts. Fuel injectors might be nasty as well as the tank.

Does the car even run? Many things in the ad seems like a set up for the "doesn't run" line when you arrive.

That weird green corrosion on the "delta 88" badge implies to me that there'll be weird corrosion on "everything else".

You know how you'd be looking under the dash at the bare steel for the e-brake mechanism and see rust there and wonder, how did it get there?

This car would have it in spades.

It's a few hour drive for you, eh?

If you can borrow a battery (or get one you can return) you can put it in, crank, have it not start, and then offer the guy $75 above scrap value. Start complaining about how he said all it needed was a battery to run, yadda yadda.

Beware! The seller is hiding behind the fact that the car needs a battery. How convenient, for he has an excuse to not know of its problems. If he were serious (and had the confidence that the car was in good running order) he would replace the battery and get the thing running again. Then he could command top dollar, or at least a few hundred more.

Originally Posted by SandCastle
Beware! The seller is hiding behind the fact that the car needs a battery. How convenient, for he has an excuse to not know of its problems. If he were serious (and had the confidence that the car was in good running order) he would replace the battery and get the thing running again. Then he could command top dollar, or at least a few hundred more.

There's tons of truth in that concept.

Wow, that's a blast from the past (for me atleast!). My first car was an '87 back in 2005 that I got for $500 in similar condition with 114K. Honestly that car is worth roughly $750 to $900. But that is the old style 3.8 before the 3800 Series 1, I think it was rated at 150HP. Take it from me that motor was a tank; being a 16 year old at the time I abused the snot out of that thing. We fit 8 of us in that thing regularly getting out of school. Rust underneath was its problem though, as was the passenger wheelwell where the battery tray is. Mine was completely rusted out, so me and my dad completely re-did it. The transmission was rebuilt before I bought it, but was slipping several thousand miles later. Don't know if it was the teenager abuse or because it was done an Aamco. That said even with low miles that car is not worth that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back