Sisters bad Toyota experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: madRiver
Her rub was not failure but that 3 days past no leeway from Toyota.

Right but if you're 10 feet from the shore and you jump 9 feet, you're still going to be all wet. Being close only counts with horseshoes. If the car had been serviced regularly and recently at the dealer, even just basic oil changes then they would have likely covered it based on my experiences.

For instance on the Matrix I took it in for an oil change at 59k right before the powertrain warranty was going to expire. I told them the coolant level was low and on the add mark. 5k later and now past the warranty it was low again. They covered the cost of a new water pump since I mentioned the issue of low coolant before the warranty expired.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leo99
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I think Leo99's(who posted earlier) 04 Rav4 with 333k miles has been making a growling noise for the last 100k miles or so iirc. Another family member drives it.

Every time I drive it, I tell my wife it's making growling noises when the tranny shifts to 2nd gear and there is a clunk on occasion when it down shifts. She poo-poos me and tells me it's been making those growling noises for years and she doesn't hear any clunking. She's in denial that it's getting worse but it keeps on running and the wife is happy.

I've tried 3 times to get the rear differential filler cap off to no avail. It will live its life out with the factory fill in the rear. The front transfer case leaks so it gets a top off every 3 months.

Here's hoping it's not a dark N stormy night when something leaves her stranded...

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Her rub was not failure but that 3 days past no leeway from Toyota.

Right but if you're 10 feet from the shore and you jump 9 feet, you're still going to be all wet. Being close only counts with horseshoes. If the car had been serviced regularly and recently at the dealer, even just basic oil changes then they would have likely covered it based on my experiences.

For instance on the Matrix I took it in for an oil change at 59k right before the powertrain warranty was going to expire. I told them the coolant level was low and on the add mark. 5k later and now past the warranty it was low again. They covered the cost of a new water pump since I mentioned the issue of low coolant before the warranty expired.

For example in this case BMW would cover that without problems.
One thing is sure, BWM's are complex cars, but when something fails month or two after warranty they cover it, or at least they cover 50% of expenses.
But Toyota has simple recipe for success: build whatever on four wheels, regardless how boring and dull it is, as long as it is simple, it can somehow go from point A to point B, and there will be enough people to buy it.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: tc1446
Quote:
Every time I hear this [censored] Mazda keeps sounding a little better!

Some years ago the transmission on my Mazda 626 bought new with 50K warranty went out at 51K. Mazda said, in effect, [censored] No more Mazda's for me.
My I think 91 626 flat rock made ... trans went out. Not Impressed with Mazda - though that was a FORD-MAZDA. Don't like the older Miata much, the early smaller ones (1.6L) were better.

I guess everything is garbage now compared to the late 1980s or of course the mid sixties

That is FORD. When I was student I wanted 626. I was fresh from Europe where manuals are standard, so was not familiar which cars have high failure rates in the U.S. of various components. Luckily some guy said: that is not Japanese car, that is Ford. Go get Mazda Millenia. Got Millenia with 105k, sold it with 220k, never had a hiccup.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

The warranty was already extended an extra 4 years and unlimited miles beyond the original powertrain warranty. So I doubt BMW would do a 9 year warranty item on a car with 143k miles, LOL.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I think Leo99's(who posted earlier) 04 Rav4 with 333k miles has been making a growling noise for the last 100k miles or so iirc. Another family member drives it.

Every time I drive it, I tell my wife it's making growling noises when the tranny shifts to 2nd gear and there is a clunk on occasion when it down shifts. She poo-poos me and tells me it's been making those growling noises for years and she doesn't hear any clunking. She's in denial that it's getting worse but it keeps on running and the wife is happy.

I've tried 3 times to get the rear differential filler cap off to no avail. It will live its life out with the factory fill in the rear. The front transfer case leaks so it gets a top off every 3 months.

Here's hoping it's not a dark N stormy night when something leaves her stranded...

I know. At a certain point, she's going to get a new one and I'll drive it until it dies. She really likes it and won't let it go.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
So, it went 143,000 miles before she had to pay for a major repair?

And she lives in the rust belt, so it has rust, too?

And you think the CRV will last longer before rust or a major out of pocket repair?

Good luck....

Toyota was making "customer satisfaction" repairs 9 years after sales. I don't think OP has a lot to complain about.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

The warranty was already extended an extra 4 years and unlimited miles beyond the original powertrain warranty. So I doubt BMW would do a 9 year warranty item on a car with 143k miles, LOL.

I agree that at 143k it is ridiculous to ask for any kind of work. BMW would not extend warranty pass 100K regardless who you are.
But 3 day pass, I think they should offer some help, not maybe all cover, but some discount.

I asked her if diff ever services and it was at 65k. There is no service interval just inspect fluid.

That all being said the failure was a faulty front bearing for extended campaign. Hers appparently lasted much longer then higher then normal fail rate between 50k-120k.

She'll likely be fine with Honda as the oil life monitor also includes services required as letters and numbers based on driving patterns. (B12 etc)

Toyota does have their faults but those are typically isolated to a specific part thru out a specific generation.

143k and just a steering colum and a rear diff isn't that bad. I'm assuming your sister just took it to the mechanic for basic things like oil changes, brakes, tires etc.

Again, 9 years and 143k miles aint that bad for just one expensive repair. If it was a Ford or something she wouldn't have went trouble free for as long. I don't like how Toyota cars look or feel but their reliability is the exception. 07 Corolla with 130k miles, ran like new. 10 Prius, 95k miles, only needed a single rear caliper and ABS sensor due to brake installation error. Everything else is original.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: artbuc
Did sister feel guilty trading in without disclosing problem?

Nope. They sold vehicle at MSRP - $5500 for RAV4. My guess is invoice + auction value where issue likely unknown too they made money.

And you think the CRV will last longer before rust or a major out of pocket repair?

Good luck....

No, it went 143k before a possibly life threatening failure of a part that should last the life of the vehicle in normal service.

Diff cap, assuming it is metal: heat it with a propane torch, then press a cheap wax candle against it. Might come loose. If not, reheat it, then quench it with Liquid Wrench. (Do have a fire extinguisher handy before doing this.) I got many seized fill plugs out with this trick.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Good luck....

No, it went 143k before a possibly life threatening failure of a part that should last the life of the vehicle in normal service.

That was my point but I guess replacing Haldex diffs at 10 years old is par for the course for Volvo owners? Replacing a diff on Subaru is unheard of unless owner places significant size mismatched tires.

Originally Posted By: zorobabel
Ungrateful, I agree.
Others lose power steering pumps, water pumps, radiators, ECUs, transmissions and even engines by that mileage.

Total major service on my hard-used police cruiser in 145,000 miles and 2000+ idle hours: front struts. At least one windshield. That's it. (Even has the originap serpentine belt.)

Was any preventive maintenance on the car like PS fluid changes, coolant flushes, gear and transmission changes etc. etc
Look haven got 140K is a lot of miles and she definitely deserved a new ride anyway, it was time to move on.
But to squeeze the 200K-300K on these machines ones needs to be a serious person with serious PM in mind.
Most women don't even know how to open the hood latch.
If all that she ever did was oil and air filters and the useless top-off and 60K and 120K services at the stealer-ships then 140K is a lot of miles to go by.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
Most women don't even know how to open the hood latch.

More accurate to say most PEOPLE don't know how to open the hood latch. In fact, I would say more women I know have a better chance of changing a flat tire than the average man. Your comment is outdated by 30-40 years.

Originally Posted By: artbuc

More accurate to say most PEOPLE don't know how to open the hood latch. In fact, I would say more women I know have a better chance of changing a flat tire than the average man. Your comment is outdated by 30-40 years.

Bullpucky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back